PDA

View Full Version : fumagate for termites

All Clear
03/20/2007, 08:51 AM
has anyone had to fumagate for termites with a reef tank?I was hopeing i could take lights down and sullifane wrap the top to seal off the 72 gallon bow front tank, and keep all powerheads on for circulation...ill turn off skimmer and chiller so no pollutants from the air leak into the water... do you think it will get to hot in the house and overheat? will it be ok for the weekend?any advise on this subject will help thank you in advance...

Lion_Babe
03/20/2007, 10:31 AM
Where do you live? Is it hot in your house? A chemical film will form on the outside of your tank and you will have to be very careful when cleaning it off. I had a customer fumagate for fleas, but not termites. They did almost the same thing you are talking about. They took the skimmer and all of the extras with them so they won't be it the house. He only lost one fish...It was an old fish though.
I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

All Clear
03/20/2007, 10:55 AM
thank you lion_babe my tank is 72 gall. and the house usually doesnt get that hot, but i am a little conserened that the tint over the house will trap heat inside, im not chancing my sps tank thats coming out...perfect chance to upgrade..lol but this tank is all soft so i suppose they can handle a little more heat?

Lion_Babe
03/20/2007, 11:56 AM
They should be able to handle more heat. There are normal heat changes in the ocean. When you get back to have it running normally give it a few days if some of them don't look too perky before freaking. Upgrading is fun too. Good luck!

vsnsofadrgn
03/20/2007, 01:31 PM
im an office manager for a pest control place. when you say fumagate, which are you talking about, vicane gas (have to leave for 3 days) or timbor? if its the gas treatment, EVERYTHING will die, no matter what. anything living has to be out of the house. i dont think the selaphane (sp) will help, especially even food in the fridge (and thats sealed) could get contaminated. a timbor treatment is goin to be alot less evasive.

Lion_Babe
03/20/2007, 01:58 PM
I guess termites are a lot different from fleas. Sorry I didn't know that.

All Clear
03/21/2007, 07:19 AM
thank you for your advise

vsnsofadrgn
03/21/2007, 08:03 AM
fleas are difficult to get rid of, ususally takes a few times due to thier eggs hatching, but with termites, theres only like 3-4 chemicals that will even work, which is why getting termite treatment is so EXPENSIVE. (i know too much about bugs, lol)