PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Canisters as Calcium Reactor?

Rovert
03/20/2007, 09:20 AM
I've been thinking about a way to use a standard RO water filter canister as a calcium reactor. My needs are pretty modest - I have a 72 bowfront mixed reef, so most of the other units by Coralife or Koralin are overkill for my system. Also, since I have limited room in my sump, it becomes an even greater challenge to fit a big unit into the small space I have to work with.

I figured if I just reverse the flow of the water, and inject the CO2 before the fitting, that might get me where I need to be. I already have an exhausted DI cartridge, so I can empty that out to use it for the media, which would make it easy to use.

The way I figure it, a small unit like this would be all I need, and because everything is already in the shape of a calcium reactor in the first place, why not?

Anyone have thoughts on this arrangement? Do you think it'd work? What perils and pitfalls should I avoid? Any suggestions on which pumps to use?

Thanks in advance!

Rovert
03/21/2007, 07:30 PM
Wow. I feel like I just farted at a cocktail party.

Nobody?

Yes, I checked the "$200 and my day off..." thread, but that discussion reflects a larger canister, and has no plumbing diagrams.

Can someone point me to a basic generic Calcium Reactor diagram?

Thanks!

Bergovoy
03/22/2007, 08:01 PM
b

ReefMeister2
03/26/2007, 02:08 AM
Me thinks this is the info you seek:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1fl57/id20.html

clubs out here have done this mod numerous times over the years.

Kevin