PDA

View Full Version : ID Please

ricwilli
03/20/2007, 09:27 AM
What kind of crab is this? Right now he is in my 72 gal tank with about 70 lbs of cured live rocks. I will not have my tank fully set up untill about 4 months. I am just keeping the rocks live. He came with the rocks when I purchased it from a local reefer. Will he survive if I don't feed the tank? What does he eat? Is he a good type of crab to keep?
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/ricwilli/Crab.jpg

aztbs
03/20/2007, 09:32 AM
It is a blue-legged hermit crab. Totally safe, he will just pick and clean your live rock. Many complain that they will kill snails or other hermits in order to steal the shell. They will definitely clean out a dead snail. Nice picture!

kiknchikn
03/20/2007, 09:34 AM
Clibanarius tricolor (Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab) from the Caribbean I believe. They're reef safe as far as crabs go (none are 100% safe), but the worse it'll probably do is indiscriminately crawl over all of your corals and close them up and just be a pain in the butt that way :D

You don't really need to feed them, they're detrivores and will eat whatever is laying around. But since there isn't much of anything else in your tank maybe you can feed him some pellets once in a while just to be sure.

Frick-n-Frags
03/20/2007, 09:37 AM
no matter what, one can't do much damage. IMO, enjoy the novelty. make him do tricks for food :D

maybe just don't buy any more

ricwilli
03/20/2007, 09:55 AM
There are allot of live things comming out of the rocks. Like worms and other stuff. Will the crab eat them? By the way, that picture was taken from the local reefer that I purchased the rocks from.

kiknchikn
03/20/2007, 10:06 AM
Probably not. Most hermits seem to be too slow and stupid to catch much of anything that's alive ;)

Drix
03/20/2007, 10:57 AM
Blue legged hermit crab. Mine enjoy long walks on the sand and eating bits of flake food and occasionally algea. They're a bit pugnatious with other hermits (as compared to my scarlet hermits) but all in all they're a good time.

BradsOcean
03/20/2007, 11:15 AM
it is definitely a Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab

ricwilli
03/20/2007, 11:32 AM
Does this crab need some empty shells? If he does where can I get some?

kiknchikn
03/20/2007, 11:43 AM
Yes he will eventually as he grows. You can get them from your LFS probably.