PDA

View Full Version : Ok to trim a tree sponge?

stgla
03/20/2007, 12:19 PM
I just added an orange tree sponge and it's almost 14" tall. Is it ok to take out a scissors and trim off the top?

I'm worried that it will be exposed to air if my circ pump turns off for any reason (power outage or for water changes), because the main tank water level falls about 2-3" due to back-siphon on the returns.

Rather than install a check valve (head loss) or mess with my plumbing too much, I'd prefer to trim the sponge. Does that seem reasonable?

Or am I worrying too much? I figured that I shouldn't risk even exposing the tips of the sponge.

greenbean36191
03/21/2007, 07:05 AM
It's ok to trim sponges, but you should do it with a sharp razorblade rather than scissors. Scissors will crush the area around the cut.

stgla
03/21/2007, 07:29 AM
Ok, thanks. This will be my first underwater surgery.

There are some tips that are white (not covered with sponge tissue). I wonder if I should cut those off as well.

AquaKnight
03/24/2007, 07:35 PM
What about trimming the base area? Whoever collected my red tree looked like they ripped it off the rock by the base and mushed it up a bit.

Gary Majchrzak
03/24/2007, 07:36 PM
Has anybody been successful keeping "tree" type sponge alive for any length of time?

dendro982
03/25/2007, 09:30 PM
1) 3 months - until I cleaned it from red slime by a tooth brush (1), and
2) 4 months and counting - the chopped damaged "stem" of the orange tree sponge, now is better than was at beginning. No special care, refugium conditions.