PDA

View Full Version : Best tools for PVC

MO Will
03/20/2007, 04:46 PM
Hi Everyone

I am planning a little project for my new-to-me 58 gallon RR

Specifically I am planning to plumb a new 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank

I am planning to use PVC and I was wondering what would be the best tools for cutting and deburring the PVC - the last time I tried my little hand saw wasn't working too well

I have a cicular saw and a dremel but don't think these will work too well

I assume I will have to buy some sort of hacksaw that is specifically designed for PVC

Is this the best route?

Thanks

Will

BruiseAndy
03/20/2007, 05:01 PM
PVC cutter blade with a guillotine style head. Just look around pvc stuff at home depot or lowes and youll find one. Get the ratchet type. run about $10-13

Bergovoy
03/20/2007, 05:16 PM
they make some pvc cutters that look like large pliers, just use that and you wont need a deburring anything.

If youwant you can use some sandpaper buy still not really necessary.

Those cutters should be about ten bucks

good luck

poppin_fresh
03/20/2007, 07:16 PM
I agree... the pvc pipe/tubing cutters work well on sched 40 pvc and vinyl tubing. They cut with No deburring which is nice.

MO Will
03/20/2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the replies! Will the PVC cutters work for 1" and 1.5" PVC tube??

Thanks

Will

billr
03/20/2007, 09:51 PM
You can buy the regular size one that goes up to 1 inch I think and the larger one that goes to 2 inch.......

hllywd
03/20/2007, 10:29 PM
I use my Sawzall then clean the cut up with a utility knife or even my pocket knife.

Tim

coyoteseven
03/20/2007, 10:32 PM
You can buy cutters that will go up to 12" at my local plumbing supplier... probably can order bigger ones for some of the massive 36-48" PVC they're using for new sewer lines in this area.

pluvialis
03/21/2007, 01:01 AM
If the cutters aqre not sharp the tend to crush the pipe a little bit. Its also hard to get cuts perpindicular to the pipe no matter how sharp it is. A pvc cutter will not give u straight cuts.

thorsky
03/21/2007, 06:22 AM
Cutters work fine for the small stuff. I use a 12" miter for all my PVC (and acrylic tube). With a good fine tooth blade you get perfect straight cuts every time.

30mini
03/21/2007, 06:24 AM
I use a pipe cutter, the kind that you would spin around the pipe and then tighten... has worked well for me! Straight cuts everytime... but with the one I have, it's hard for me to cut 1" pipe, but I can do it.

hllywd
03/21/2007, 07:20 AM
Pipe cutters sound like a lot of work to cut pvc 30mini...:eek2:

30mini
03/21/2007, 07:22 AM
Yea, but it's just what I had laying around... easier than a saw (when you don't have powertools)

hllywd
03/21/2007, 07:25 AM
Yikes:eek2: No power tools??? Are you Amish???:D

Tim:cool:

30mini
03/21/2007, 08:37 AM
No, I live in an apt. right now! Once I get my house I'll have powertools :D

NanoReefWanabe
03/21/2007, 08:58 AM
i have never had a problem with anvil styled PVC/ABS cutters giving me untrue cuts...the thing to remember about using them is to rotate the cutter slighty as you start..once you are in the pipe and cutting down the sides as oppossed to the top you can just close up the shears and the piece falls off square and true every time...

as for the standard pipe cutters, the only problem i have had with those is if you try to cut too fast adn then the blade basically squishes out the end of the pipe giving you a bit of belled end to the pipe or a flare i guess you could call it...but i you cut nice and slow 1/4" turn every other revolution you should get a nice clean cut aswell...

i too have used a reciprocating saw as well...lots of burrs that are easly sanded off with some 80 grit paper and then using the very tip of a utility knife i clean the inside edge up..tought to get a nice square cut though..

hacksaw is by far the worst method, unless you have a mitre box to put it in, as you will never get a str8 cut once the blade has heated up, it will bend and twist on you like crazy..