PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor effluent drip unstable

akhanf
03/20/2007, 07:25 PM
Hi all,

I've had my calcium reactor set up for over a week now, but I can't get the effluent drip rate to stay constant. I am starting at 1 drip / second, but then it consistently slows down (over the span of about 10 hours I guess) until it stops dripping completely. Any ideas what could be causing this? Is this a common problem?

Thanks for the help!

Ali

Agu
03/20/2007, 08:22 PM
Have you checked with the manufacturer ?

If the drip is too slow evaporation causes calcium build up blocking the output. A faster drip might be your solution.

labatt
03/20/2007, 09:07 PM
Check the chemistry forum, theres a few threads on reactors in there. I believe that I read that you cant run most reactors below 30ml/min and keep it stable.

labatt
03/20/2007, 09:11 PM
Here's a link (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1076137) to a thread on CA reactors that has a very good setup process about half way down.

jdieck
03/20/2007, 09:19 PM
There could be a couple of reasons.
The most common is variability of the feed due to small changes in pressure. How are you feeding your reactor? One of the most stable feeding methods is the use of a powerhead with a bleed orifice in the line to feed the reactor, the bleed orifice will help maintain a constant pressure in the reactor input line while allow for enough flow trough tht powerhead to keep it cool. Some also have achieved good stability using an aqualifter pump.
Despite diferent feed arrangements, many reactors can't keep a constant effluent at less than 20 to 30 ml/min given the accuracy of the effluent control valve. Try to set the effluent at that rate and then adjust the reactor PH (CO2 bubble rate) to achieve the alkalinity you need.

akhanf
03/20/2007, 10:30 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a problem with the feed line; even if I start at a very high drip rate, it still slows down.

I'm feeding with a maxijet 900, but I haven't been using a bleed orifice in the line. Would this just be a small hole in the feed-line?

I could also try swapping in my aqualifter and see if that fixes the problem.

jdieck
03/20/2007, 11:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9528687#post9528687 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by akhanf
I'm pretty sure there is a problem with the feed line; even if I start at a very high drip rate, it still slows down.

I'm feeding with a maxijet 900, but I haven't been using a bleed orifice in the line. Would this just be a small hole in the feed-line?

I could also try swapping in my aqualifter and see if that fixes the problem.

One more reason I did not mentioned above is that in reactors that have the effluent line leaving from the top of the chamber sometimes bubbles accumulate in the discharge line, if the line goes down, the bubbles act like a plug on the hose as there is not enough pressure to push them out downwards against their tendency to float so check the line for this posibility. If you find this to be the problem ,to solve it the effluent line might need to be T'd off from the discharge line of the recirculation pump.

In any case I recommend you install the bleed at the pump othewise it overheats and the heat will precipitate carbonate in the powerhead which will require too frequent cleanings.

The maxijet comes with a coupling in the outlet that supports the fan like piece and that has a hole to connect an air line to create bubbles.
Use that coupling between the pump and the hose to the reactor and leave the hole open. The hole will work as the bleed (You may need to cut the two little pins that support the fan like unit to be able to connect the hose)
Take the oportunity to inspect the impeller and the powerhead for damage. Flow trough the reactor is so slow that the pump might not have cooled properly.
Also try the aqualifter and see how it goes.
A 900 should work, I had to use a 1200 because my reactor is about 1-1/2 feet above my sump and the discharge is about four feet above.

akhanf
03/20/2007, 11:27 PM
Thank you very much for the help!
Yes, I think it is the bubbles that are plugging up the effluent line. I'll see if I can get rid of any dips in the effluent line so the bubbles don't plug it up.

jdieck
03/20/2007, 11:35 PM
:thumbsup: