PDA

View Full Version : 6100 drive shaft sheared off...

TCreefer
03/20/2007, 08:37 PM
Evening Roger,

I've been running a pair of 6100's since I started the tank in October 2006 (the kit was purchased in 2005 but stayed boxed because of hurricanes). Tonight the alarm sounded for the first time.

I immediately switched off the power and proceeded to clean the pumps. Upon removal of the suction housing, I was shocked to see the propeller sheared off from the white drive shaft. The rest of the drive unit appears undamaged.

What replacement parts do I need to get up and running again?
What is the fastest way to obtain these parts?
Should I be worried that the damaged shaft is a manifestation of a much more serious problem?

Regards

Nick

rvitko
03/21/2007, 10:00 AM
Usually the cause is one of two things- the bearing shell came loose and sawed through the shaft or a snail or foreign object entered the pump and hit the prop and broke the shaft. Neither is really a serious issue that indicates any big mechanical problem. The shaft is probably all you need if you can unscrew the prop and salvage the prop and screw from your original set and the bearing shell is OK and stays clipped on the base of the shaft. The shaft is part 6080.64, if you order on tunze.com the orders come directly to me and we fill them usually within 24hrs.