PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new tank (has in-built trickle sump thing)

jaredp
03/20/2007, 10:12 PM
As my current tank is in bad shape (not that ACTUAL tank), i was looking through the pet store today and noticed a tank.

I has an inbuilt trickle sump thing which caught my eye, as i dont have a sump at the moment, and can't really get a tank drilled (dont know how to do it or anyone that can, and overflow things arent sold in the area).

The water basically runs from the main part, through some teeth into the side 'sump'. It then trickles down through 2 compartments, (currently sponge and bio-balls) that are seperated by glass with holes drilled all in them. The bottom compartment then goes through to the left where a pump puts the water back in the main.

My question really is, would this tank be better than my current tank, which has no sump. If so, could you explain why etc.
Current tank is about 240 litres, this tank is about 330 litres.
PS. ignore the price. i know the pet store owner and will be getting it cheaper than that (without all the crap in it too)

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/8450/tank2yi3.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7184/tank1copyjh9.jpg

T Man
03/20/2007, 10:33 PM
That set up looks efficient enough for what you want. The integrated sump reminds me of the "nanocraze" type tanks. A sump is always a benifit to a tank- go for it! TinMan

Peter Eichler
03/20/2007, 10:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9528713#post9528713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LU359TINMAN
That set up looks efficient enough for what you want. The integrated sump reminds me of the "nanocraze" type tanks. A sump is always a benifit to a tank- go for it! TinMan

Except that's not really a sump, it's just a chunk of tank divided and made less useful, IMO. It doesn't look large enough for a decent skimmer, the bioballs are not a good idea unless you're totally against live rock and protein skimmers, and it's not adding to the volume of the tank, it's taking away volume.

The only benefit I could see from this setup would be if you were to keep the side compartment almost full, clear out the shelves, and use it as a mini refugium.

Snowboarda42
03/20/2007, 10:57 PM
you could go for a HOB skimmer and put LR rubble in it.
I think it'd be okay

T Man
03/20/2007, 11:42 PM
Where are you from jaredp?

davidryder
03/20/2007, 11:44 PM
I don't like it. You're going to have to see and hear that division on the left of the tank. It's just wasted space IMO.

jaredp
03/21/2007, 12:01 AM
Im from Australia (SE Queensland).

The reason im posting this is:

A) My current tank is a disaster. It just isn't working
B) I have no way of adding a sump to any tank that i get, due to the fact i don't know how to drill tanks, and no one i know does.

Would this tank be ok, provided i removed that spong/bioballs, put some sort of filter medium and live rock rumble in the compartments. I would have a DSB in the main tank with Live Rock.

Im not worried about seeing the back bit, i think its rather cool you can see whats going on (i would most likely have it up against a wall anyway).

ALthough you say its waster space in the tank, my current tank is 240 litres and this one is approx. 300 (excluding the side sump). SO i would be gaining volume and water movement with this tank?

PS. I would be using a HOB Skimmer.

davidryder
03/21/2007, 12:08 AM
You can get a weir box to put on the back of your tank to get the water to the sump.

jaredp
03/21/2007, 12:11 AM
You can get a weir box to put on the back of your tank to get the water to the sump.

No, I can't. They aren't sold in the area, and i can't find any on ebay.

(re-read my first post :D )

davidryder
03/21/2007, 12:41 AM
http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.html

Ultimately it's up to you what will look best... nothing will teach you better than experience. :)

Peter Eichler
03/21/2007, 12:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9529248#post9529248 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jaredp
No, I can't. They aren't sold in the area, and i can't find any on ebay.

(re-read my first post :D )

Where is your area?

P.S. If you get that tank make sure he includes the awesome background :p

jaredp
03/21/2007, 02:15 AM
http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.html

Ultimately it's up to you what will look best... nothing will teach you better than experience.
-------------------------------------------------------

You are missing the point. I can't make anything out of acryllic or anything. I have NO tools, i know noone that does. I don't even know of a store in my (small) city that even sells acryllic.

Just to recap. I can't drill my tank. I highly doubt i can make an overflow myself.

davidryder
03/21/2007, 02:26 AM
Sorry if I came off telling you what you should do. Like I mentioned above, it's ultimately up to you what looks best, and nothing will teach you better than experience.

In the big picture though, I don't think that compartment on the left will be very beneficial.

Bioballs are slowly being phased out as they are nitrate factories in the long run. If you could take out the divisions in the main tank and scrape off the silicone/adhesive then I think it would be a sweet deal... you would then have a sump. If you like the eccentricity of showing how things work, then that should be the end of the discussion. Don't be afraid to do what you want to do just because someone else says something you don't want to hear.

Buy the tank and start a new thread titled something like "Unique tank possibilities" or whatever and take it from there. No matter what it's your tank and you will be able to make it rock regardless of what people initially think.