PDA

View Full Version : Lionfish trouble

janusNraven
03/20/2007, 10:16 PM
Ok I have a friend with a predator tank that had their volitan lion tried to eat a very large damsel. Needless to say the lionfish bit off way more than it could handle and the damsel got lodged in its jaw. The lionfish tried to swallow the fish as well as spit it back up but it still seemed to be wedged in. After about 6 hours the damsel was still stuck and the lion was gasping on the sandbed.

Long story short, after 12 hours the lionfish managed to spit up the damsel but now its jaw looks like it might be broken and hasn't closed since. He's still swimming around a little but looks to have no control over his jaw.

Advice?

Is there anything we can do?

elvn
03/21/2007, 07:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. I just got dwarf lionfish recently, and I've kept frogfish for years.

It sounds like he ate the damsel 'accidentally' but I am always wary of anything that will fit in a predator's mouth even partially (especially in the case of frogfish). I've heard stories of longer body-type fish having their head swallowed by a frogfish with the tail hanging out - which sounds similar to what happened to your lion.

Injury to the predator is a reason I never feed damsels or other live food that could be combative. Alot of snake owners never feed their snakes live mice/rats for similar reasons as they can wound the snake or the snake's eyes, etc. which could lead to infection. Even if a predator eats the prey naturally in the wild its usually not worth risking a prize critter getting injured.

That said I have heard of lionfish dislocating their jaws partially or completely. I'm sorry but I don't know what you can do. I hope you can find some help.

:(

Here is a link with some lionfish injury posts but it doesn't sound promising.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/liondisfaq2.htm

janusNraven
03/21/2007, 08:34 AM
thanks.

originally the damsel had been in the tank with the lion for a very long period. The lionf ifsh was really well fed and had left the damsel alone.

we willl just wait and see

justinl
03/21/2007, 09:34 AM
if it helps any, i once heard a story about a lion who had a gimped jaw. To feed he would just sort of swim into the food. Obviously the food wasn't live.