PDA

View Full Version : Has my cycle finally started?

cinematek
03/20/2007, 11:16 PM
Okay... started a 25G reef 2.5 weeks ago. For the first 2 weeks I detected no trates/trites, pH was at 7.8 and KH at 300 or so. In week 1 the water was nice and clear. In week 2 I think a mussel on my LR died and my whole tank turned grey/black.

But then... skimmed junk off the surface and did a 5G water change. Then yesterday I had these params:

Nitrates: 20ppm (mg/L)
Nitrites: 1.0ppm (mg/L) (not sure if I'm reading this test right.)
KH: 300ppm
pH: 8.4

And tonight, I've got this...

Nitrates: 20ppm
Nitrites: 4.0ppm
KH: 250 (approx)
pH: 7.4

Seems like a true cycle may have started. Anyone agree? Disagree? Anything I should be dosing or other params I should be monitoring at this point? Thanks.

bertoni
03/20/2007, 11:40 PM
I think the live rock is curing. The KH is rather high. Has a pH buffer been added? Those tend to cause problems, as they are basically high-pH alkalinity supplements.

jdieck
03/20/2007, 11:54 PM
Whats your ammonia level?

TekCat
03/21/2007, 12:03 AM
Yep, you're cycling :) Monitor ammonia and nitrite levels. At this time you don't need to dose anything to your tank. Just saltwater, lots of flow, and sit back and ride out the cycle. Water changes might help to save more life on the LR.

good luck

cinematek
03/21/2007, 01:06 AM
I haven't tested ammonia yet. I haven't dosed anything either. The only thing I've done since the installation was the 5G water change. I also added 3 snails two days ago, before my nitrites spiked, b/c I thought maybe my cycle was done. Two have died, but one is still hanging on. Not much I can do about that now.

jdieck
03/21/2007, 01:13 AM
If you have not added any supplements the high alkalinity might have come either from a substrate or from the initial water. Did you use pure water or tap water?
You need to track ammonia during the cycle and try keeping it under control with water changes but also insure you use purified water to prepare your salt water mix.

alexb518
03/21/2007, 01:25 AM
well you can probably chalk your last snail off as a loss too.

cinematek
03/21/2007, 01:37 AM
Yeah... I figured that snail #3 probably won't last long. I consider it a lesson learned about cycling a new tank. Sorry, snail...

As for my water, I have only used salt and fresh water from my lfs. The SG has ranged from 1.022-1.023. I am assuming that their water is clean.

TekCat
03/21/2007, 01:41 AM
It is generally not a good idea to add any live critters before you sure that ammonia and nitrites are zero, because they most likely die.

alexb518
03/21/2007, 01:49 AM
just let it sit for a couple more weeks and then check the params again. no point adding anything right now cuz they will probably just die unless, that is, you throw in some damsels. but those guys are mean and you probably wont want them in later on...and you can never catch those bastards later on when you decide you no longer want/need them.

cinematek
03/21/2007, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm not planning on adding anything else until I know for sure that my water is good. I only put the snails in b/c I honestly thought that my cycle was over. Newbie mistake.

I'll post again in a few days with a cycle update.

bertoni
03/21/2007, 03:22 PM
That SG is rather low. I'd raise it slowly to 1.026-1.027. This article covers all the water parameters:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

This article would help with checking your measurement device:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

cinematek
03/25/2007, 10:31 PM
Bertoni - Thanks for the reference to those two articles. I finally made it through both of them - I don't think I've digested that much information at once since college!

As of this evening, my tank stats are:
ammonia: 0.1 ppt
'trates: 20 ppm
'trites: 0 ppm
KH: 250 ppm
pH: 8.0
SG: 1.0245

Is my cycle done? Is it ending? I still have not added a skimmer or lights to the system (cost has been prohibitive) but I will finally be getting my skimmer this week. Will adding the skimmer cause a new cycle?

Also, everything I've read (especially that article) seems to suggest a SG of 1.025-1.027. My lfs has their SW at 1.022. I have adjusted mine to 1.0245 by not topping off with FW for a few days. Will I have to mix my own SW in order to achieve the correct salinity?

Thanks.

cinematek
03/25/2007, 10:33 PM
By the way... snail #3 died a few days ago. I plan to have better success with my next cleanup crew.

TekCat
03/25/2007, 10:34 PM
Just take it sloooooooooow

jdieck
03/25/2007, 10:44 PM
Take it easy and yes you need to mix your own water and try using the recommended salinity of 1.025 to 1.027 Fish stores usually keep the salinity low in the belief that it help prevent parasites on fish but it is terrible for coral growth.

You will not be cycled until Ammonia and Nitrietes have been undetectable for at least a week.

The skimmer will help keep a cleaner water and prevent further rising of Nitrates, keep water changes at 25% per week for three or four times to reduce that level of Nitrates then maintain at least a 10% per week water change.

Do not forget to use a powerhead or Turkey baster to blow off the detritus from the rock surface and pores.