PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Calcium Chloride in the summer?

Fishdisease
03/21/2007, 06:51 AM
Hey Everyone,

So I'm trying to gather the components of Randy's 2-part but I cant find the "Prestone Driveway Heat" that ppl use for the CaCL, even here in Canada they've stopped selling driveway de-icer. Whats a good source that I can find in the summer? I will be in buffalo on Thursday so I cna grab something there if its common.

Thanks.
Dave

DrBDC
03/21/2007, 06:57 AM
Try harveysalts.com or buckeyefieldsupply.com

neuroslicer
03/21/2007, 07:09 AM
My local pool supply has Dowflakes by the 50 pound bag, about $35. Calcium is added to increase the water hardness for pools and spas.

And then there's these guys:

http://www.twopartsolution.com/

isjg
03/21/2007, 10:12 PM
In Australia for Ca Chloride we use a product called Damp Rid, it's just a moisture absorbent you buy in the supermarket. Check the cleaner section of your local store for something similar as it's available year round.

neuroslicer
03/22/2007, 07:09 AM
You can get calcium chloride just about anywhere in the summertime in pool and spa supply sections of hardware stores and megastores... the concern though is the quality of the product. Are there excessive impurities that could build up in your tank after months of dosing? Impurities like toxic metals (cadmium, arsenic, and lead) and ammonia. The reason that Dowflakes are so often recommended is that they've been tested and shown to be identical to calcium solutions that you buy in fish stores. These other calcium sources MAY be fine, but without a critical analysis we just don't know.

mg426
03/22/2007, 06:29 PM
www.buckeyefieldsupply.com