PDA

View Full Version : Any Canadian Reefers Out There??

taillonjohn
03/21/2007, 07:26 AM
I'm interested in knowing where you buy your stuff. I'm in Toronto, and all I can find is Big Al's (Petsmart usually has dead fish floating in their tanks). I can't get livestock from the internet due to the international customs rules on livestock, so I want to know if it is worth it to buy equipment online. Does the exchange rate, duties, taxes, shipping costs make it worth it? Does anyone have other alternatives in Canada?

Faerin
03/21/2007, 08:24 AM
Check out the sponsor's section at www.aquariumpros.ca
There are quite a few Toronto based reef stores listed there.

taillonjohn
03/21/2007, 08:29 AM
awesome, thank you

ocellaris06
03/21/2007, 09:06 AM
There are some small stores in Tornoto area:

1. Steel and Kennedy (a store at South East corner and besides Staple). You can find fresh and salt water fish there.
Not much equipment.

2. Woodbine and Apple Creek Blvd (North East Corner mall, North of High Way 7). A small store with quite lot
of livestock. Should be cheaper than the two big stores. I bought two Red Turbo Snails for $2 each.

3. Lesile and High Way 7 (North East corner, between E Pearce St and High Way 7), just beside Tim Horton.
A small shop with fresh and salt water fish.

4.Steel and Ferrier St (North West Corner, the mall). A small shop selling fresh fish. I haven't visited it but my friend
told me that the items (tank, filter...etc) there are cheaper.

5. Kennedy and High Way 7 (the mall at South West Corner). It is a small store mainly with livestock. It is at a corner position and just besides a hair saloon. Look for it carefully or you will miss it.

If DHL is OK, buy livestock from Hong Kong or Taiwan is much much much cheaper. I visited Hong Kong during March Break. There is a "fish street" in Mong Kok (a small region in HK). Crown fish is selling at almost CAD$3 only while it is around CAD$20-25 in Canada or US!

good luck to you!

**All the mentioned store should be ran by Chinese guys. ******Those price they marked should included tax.*******

taillonjohn
03/21/2007, 09:25 AM
thanks for taking the time to type that up, appreciate it

taillonjohn
03/21/2007, 09:33 AM
also, for anyone else following this thread out there, living in TO, I just discovered Marine Aquarium Society of Toronto (MAST), FYI...

http://www.mastcanada.org/

new2scene
03/21/2007, 01:09 PM
this is good also.

http://chrismorris.ca/lfs/assets_fin/v2_logo.jpg

new2scene
03/21/2007, 01:11 PM
http://chrismorris.ca/lfs/

new2scene
03/21/2007, 01:13 PM
just wanted to ask where you go to buy your fish. I'm getting tired of Big al's

Icefire
03/21/2007, 04:26 PM
jlaquatics is cheap, in bc.

taxman95
03/21/2007, 06:14 PM
Also try Oakville Reef Gallery is you are in the west end. Usually not the best fish selection but normally have nice corals and clams.

Also the owners are very Knowledgeable reefers who will take the time to talk to you.

They also carry some nice equipment although you can pick it up cheaper on-line, but I at least buy some stuff from them to support them or when I need it quick.

Its on Kerr just south of QEW. Its accross the road from the Oakville Big Al's, which I don't find as bad as some of the others at least for fish.