PDA

View Full Version : Red Slim Algae???

AFnuketroop
03/21/2007, 09:26 AM
I have this red slime algae that gets on everything, including my coral. What is the stuff really, and how do I get rid of it???

TIMMYE
03/21/2007, 09:55 AM
I have never had, but have heard the best way to get rid of it is with good direct flow. Not sure if its true or if it works?

kurtg
03/21/2007, 10:26 AM
it's common while curing rocks from too much nutrients in the water. The best way to get rid of it is to deal with the nutrients. Have you checked your phosphate and nitrate levels recently?

I'd recommend a phosphate reactor and a kalk water drip if you don't have one.

It's also common with bad water flow. I'd check your pipes, drains, power heads, and pumps. These should all be cleaned on a monthly basis, but I only started that after my pump was reduced to a trickle from a clogged sponge that I didn't know was there. If you haven't done it recently, take all your pumps/power heads apart and clean them. (Recommend one at a time unless your good at jigsaw puzzles).

joekr
03/21/2007, 10:26 AM
Increase flow (if the turn over is low), decrease feeding, decrease light cycle, if bulbs are old, replace...

Check your numbers for trates, etc...I would not use drugs. Usually there is a problem and using something like red slime remover only masks it.

michaeldaly
03/21/2007, 11:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9531038#post9531038 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AFnuketroop
I have this red slime algae that gets on everything, including my coral. What is the stuff really, and how do I get rid of it???

It's most probably cyanobacteria, do a search, you will find alot of information.

BradsOcean
03/21/2007, 11:28 AM
Increase the Flow!!!!!

bsaastad
03/21/2007, 11:54 AM
Also, how long has the tank been set up? The initial establishment of nitrifying bacteria is really only the first part of a long series of cycles a new tank goes through. Most go through a series of algal blooms (somewhat of misnomer since it's not all strictly algae) -- brown (diatoms), red (cyanobacteria), green -- as the various equilibria become established. It can easily take six months or so for everything to settle down. As recommended above, nutrient control, proper lighting (no "old" bulbs) and water flow are paramount, but if the tank is new be patient; it's normal and will go away on its own provided your other factors are kept in check.

AFnuketroop
03/22/2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the info yall.