PDA

View Full Version : microscopic black crab like bugs...reference source

slojmn
03/21/2007, 09:27 AM
I was examining some discs with chalice and acan frags from my tank with my mesoscope. I found these black bugs that have translucent-whitish legs. They have 8 legs, four in front portion and four in back portion of the body with a slight space between each set of four legs. The font four legs face forward more and the back four face toward the back end of the bug. the body looks almost round, very black, with a slight lighter corlored rin around the edge. At first it reminded me of a crab shell. They move around fairly slowly and when encountering each other back away and go in a different direction. They are not moving to fast so it is pretty easy to watch them through the mesoscope. I have not seen any swimming in the water, they stay motoring on the rock. I felt they motored around somewhat like a crab. At first I thought they were definately crabbish, but then after further observation they move different. There were a number of them on the exposed skeletons of chalices and acans, rock work, and discs but none near flesh of any coral, lps or sps. I am able to spot them with my mesoscope on rocks close to the front of the tank where I can get good magnification, I can not see them with the naked eye. I checked many corals up close with the mesoscope and found none of these bugs on the a single coral nor could I find egg sacks or anything resembling eggs. I don't have a high enough macro lens to capture a picture but I wondered if others have spied these and where I might find reference material with pictures to try and identify them.
I don't want to nuke my tank with interceptor if I don't need to, I suspect it might work to rid the tank of them, just a hunch. I would try in a seperate container first to see if the interceptor is effective if I decide to go this route. I have not noticed any ill effects on corals but a few of my chalices seem to be slowly receding. This is why I took some of the frags out to see if anything was bothering them, that is when I found these black bug things running around.
All of my micromussas, sps, and other corals appear fine with great color and growth. I have never noticed these guys before and I think I would have in past examinations of corals/plugs/discs. I have a mandarin and doubt that he is eating them although they would definately be in his size range for food. These are definately not copepods or amphipods, much smaller than an amphipod...more in line with the size of a copepod or a bit bigger. I found different size ones, probably babies, juveniles , and adult sizes. Any help or links to reference stuff would be great. I don't think these are problematic but I just want to make sure. Thanks in advance.

crazy4salt
03/21/2007, 09:42 AM
Search for Sea Spiders

slojmn
03/21/2007, 09:49 AM
Did that, they look nothing like sea spiders. Thanks for the idea though.

Travis L. Stevens
03/21/2007, 10:08 AM
Possibly an isopod of some sorts. Munnid Isopod?
http://wetwebfotos.com/usermedia/high/0/2470_58.jpg

slojmn
03/21/2007, 10:30 AM
Travis, excellent pics. The legs of those isopods are very similar to my little guys but the body is way different. The black body is not in any way translucent...solid black. I will do some searching on isopods and see if I can find an ID.

Travis L. Stevens
03/21/2007, 10:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9531540#post9531540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slojmn
Travis, excellent pics. The legs of those isopods are very similar to my little guys but the body is way different. The black body is not in any way translucent...solid black. I will do some searching on isopods and see if I can find an ID.

There could have been some pigmentation, the lighting could have effected it, or it could have had a full stomach. Here is a little more information about Isopods.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php

slojmn
03/21/2007, 12:11 PM
Great link Travis, thanks. I have done a lot of reading and looking at a variety of pictures...I am not thinking isopod. These guys all have a smooth body with no segmentation and I think the black is the color of the body not food in the digestive track...they all look the same. I swear I counted 8 legs, not 6, unless the two most front appendages are actually antenae. I keep searching :).

Travis L. Stevens
03/21/2007, 12:14 PM
Can you attempt to get a picture. Even the outline of the animal helps out in this case.

slojmn
03/21/2007, 12:26 PM
I will try, but my camera only goes 60mm macro...I think they are way to small for my macro lens.

LeslieH
03/21/2007, 04:22 PM
4 legs front & 4 legs back means it's a marine mite. Very common little animals in reefs & algae. Do a google image search on mite and you'll find quite a few pics; search for marine mite and you'll get references for life history.

slojmn
03/22/2007, 09:01 AM
LeslieH, most excellent, thank you. I did a search for a while and didn't come up with anything similar but I think you are definately on the right track here. I am continuing to observe them in the tank and I can't see any harm coming from them at this point. I tried to shoot some pictures...no luck, they are just to darn small. I need one of those fancy microscope cameras. Better yet Mesoscope needs to finally get their camera attachment accessory on the market.

Amphiprion
03/22/2007, 09:10 AM
I have had them for a while. They appear to be rather benign.

rustybucket145
03/22/2007, 09:30 AM
I have had some success in taking macro pics through the lens of the microscope. You'll have to play around with your cams macro settings and the distance of the cam lens from the eyepiece on the scope but it can be done and can provide a very nice image to work with.

slojmn
03/22/2007, 12:00 PM
rustybucket145, good idea. I have yet to try that, thanks :).

Amphirion, I agree...thus far I have no reason to believe they are problematic but I am curious about them. I am glad to have your input since they are in your system as well.