PDA

View Full Version : i got skimmer now what

new2scene
03/21/2007, 02:16 PM
okay i bought a skimmer yesterday and i know i'm going to hear that its crap because it's by Red Sea but it's the only thing i can afford right now. i am not a business executive or in some high paying job like most on here. i am a single mom of 2! I'm not being rude just laying down the facts. now as you can see from what i have i just need the skimmer now and trash the cannister and the hang on filter. i do plan to add a few corals in a few months and i'm in no rush i just want to make sure that im doing this right. I have no aquarium experience ever so i'm glad i came on here and there a patient people.

Jocool
03/21/2007, 02:29 PM
Hello, the skimmer is fine, as well dont be so hasty to remove the canister or hang on. I mean if they are your sole filtration, they will be an asset !! The skimmer adds a 1-2-3 punch now.

Good luck.

taillonjohn
03/21/2007, 02:30 PM
why don't you keep the canister? I think you do have everything you need, except water flow, which can be provided by powerheads or the return from your canister, which I use. its also good for running carbon if you want.

new2scene
03/21/2007, 02:49 PM
okay it seems everyone on here has just the skimmers running on their display. I will get 2 pwrhds soon. keep the carbon out of the filters unless polishing or removing medicine right? keep the other media in the cannister the blue sponge thing and the ceramics. am i right. I just seems like alot of things to be hanging on the aquarium. clean them once a month one at a time. i know i can i know i can i know i can i know i can

kaihonu82
03/21/2007, 02:59 PM
i think you can keep the carbon

taillonjohn
03/21/2007, 03:08 PM
I don't think you need to keep the hang-on filter if you have a canister, that would be a lot to hang off your tank. Carbon is good for many things, I run it 24/7. The live rock you have will provide the biological filtration, so you don't need the ceramic things either. enlightened or confused?

andycook
03/21/2007, 03:13 PM
That is why people switch to sumps and closed loops - less junk in the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9533722#post9533722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by new2scene
It just seems like alot of things to be hanging on the aquarium.

new2scene
03/21/2007, 04:56 PM
ok taillonjohn since you're a torontonian ( not to discriminate against you southern folk) i will try your suggestion and scrap the hang on and keep the cannister going but why do i have to take out the ceramics.

stupac21
03/21/2007, 05:02 PM
Don't worry about not getting the expensive skimmer.

I can't afford it either!!

I haven't had mine long, but its working just fine.

new2scene
03/21/2007, 05:55 PM
i get intimidated when i see the prices for this hobby and then you're made to believe that because it's a cheaper brand, that it won't work and do the same job. my kids mouths have to come first, but i would like to have something to enjoy and my kids also.

Scuba_Steve
03/21/2007, 07:15 PM
Ceramics provide bio filtration, thats it. Your live rock will provide all the bio filtration you need, combined with some good flow to circulate water around them. Ceramics, and even filter pads just collect junk that causes nitrates to collect. Get rid of them. A canister is a good thing to run carbon in though, and provide a lil extra flow, but if you wanted you could get rid of it entirely and just use powerheads to eliminate clutter. Consider looking at a hob overflow, and a sump at some time. It will make your tank alot less cluttered. Just a thought for the future.

new2scene
03/21/2007, 07:31 PM
thanks i will take the ceramics and the filter pads out and just leave the carbon in

Scuba_Steve
03/21/2007, 07:56 PM
Just dont take it all out at once if you have livestock already, as your bacteria population will need a little time to build itself back up.

new2scene
03/21/2007, 08:10 PM
i just have couple of shrimp, 5 snails, and 5 hermits. what do i do take out the filter pad tomorrow and in 2 weeks take out the ceramics

miztahphong2
03/21/2007, 08:46 PM
go ahead and plug that baby in and let it break in. the red sea prizm skimmer was my first on my first tank and it worked fine although i had to adjust it daily but worked fine.

Lotus99
03/21/2007, 08:47 PM
If you don't have powerheads yet, you can leave the HOB filter on there with no media in it to give you a little extra flow.

new2scene
03/22/2007, 06:18 AM
it seems okay although i have to take it back today it has a small leak on the side. looks like it fills up fast with full flow like you said i guess i will have to play with it to get it at a comfortable flow rate.

I have another question i bought 2 camel shrimp on tues. and i can only find one. upon looking in the tank this morning i see a body like a shell casing with antennae and feet. do shrimp molt. i only have five astrea snails and if he died would his body decompose so fast.

Frick-n-Frags
03/22/2007, 06:26 AM
if you bought a berlin skimmer, make sure you use a decent pump on it or it won't work for crap. we're talking Mag9 or RIO2600 level here.

taillonjohn
03/22/2007, 06:29 AM
yes, shrimp molt

Scuba_Steve
03/22/2007, 06:48 AM
Some shrimp often hide alot, so you may never see him unless your looking with a red lens flashlight at night. But use this as a learning experience. Ask on rc before buying anything, wildlife or equipment. Camel shrimp can cause probs with coral. Usually not, so you should be fine, but there is a chance. JMO, if it were me, I would try to catch them and take them back. That is if you can catch them. Does the glass leaning on a rock with food work to catch shrimp anyone?

awestruck
03/22/2007, 06:56 AM
Currently I can't afford some of the better equipment either so here is what I do: run a canister to hold carbon (I run the carbon 24/7)--and, the spray bar creates really good surface agitation which helps with gas exchange; I run 4 powerheads (for a 58g., 36" long tank); I use a protein skimmer which also is crummy but it's the best I can afford right now; I have a 3" sand bed; I do weekly water changes anywhere between 5-10%. My livestock is doing very well and my water parameters are great and remain consistent. Take about 1/4 of the ceramic rings out of your canister--wait maybe a week and take out 1/4 more, and then a week later take out another 1/4--you get the pattern! :) Also, although you do have "lots of stuff" on the back of your tank right now, your HOB w/no filter media is a really good way to keep your water oxygenated. Good luck and keep on reefin'!!

new2scene
03/22/2007, 06:58 AM
i guess i'm stuck with them as they will not give guarantees or refunds with any marines and the skimmer is a Prism.

awestruck
03/22/2007, 07:11 AM
I think you are fine--I too am a single mom so I know exactly where you're comin' from! :) Also, don't get discouraged when you're just starting. In fact, to me it sounds as if you are off to a good start just by considering issues and asking questions! Another really good thing that you're doing is starting slowly. Don't add corals until your water parameters are really good, and if you're going to add fish, add them SLOWLY because their waste will overburden your biological filtration and you'll get all sorts of problems. Also, I'm not sure what types of corals you're going to put in your tank, but consider starting with easy, hardy ones. Good luck.

Frick-n-Frags
03/22/2007, 07:12 AM
OK, can't help with a prizm. but any skimmer is better than no skimmer, that's for sure.

you can use your cannister filter empty for a portable closed-loop if you want to keep some powerheads out of the tank. you can run pipes down to wherever you want circulation on the return and not worry about any siphoning issues when the power stops

awestruck
03/22/2007, 07:14 AM
Reefing Mantra: S-L-O-W-L-Y :fish1:

new2scene
03/22/2007, 09:49 AM
ok thanks for the encouragement and i will take 1/4 out and so forth. it's nice to hear that there are people here that are in the same situation as i am and although to date, i have spent over a grand in the last couple of weeks, money is kind of an issue, but i know things should start to slow financially, as i basically have everthing to set up. i just need a good book to read. some of the technical and chemistry stuff i just don't get.

any info on what are hardy corals. does it matter if i start with fish or corals. I know corals can live on fish poop and fish food. i see the corals in the lfs and they are on little pieces of live rock in the tanks. can i not buy it like that and put it in my tank attached to the rock it came with

awestruck
03/22/2007, 10:54 AM
Hi again! :) First, when my son and I win the lottery :D we will be buying all the best stuff and we will be happy to send you lots of cash so you can too!! In the mean time, do the best you can. And hey, I too get lost on some of the technical and chemical issues. It's my guess, however, that your questions can be answered on RC. Go to the chemistry forum for questions you don't understand. Believe me, they'll help you. There are LOTS of people willing to help you on the technical end of things.

Some good beginning corals are green star polyps, mushrooms, bubble corals, xenia, and leather corals. What you purchase will greatly depend on what you like and what type of lighting you have. You will hear people refer to corals as SPS (small stony polyps), LPS (large stony polyps), softies (leathers and others) etc. Go to sites like marinedepot.com and saltwaterfish.com to get a comprehensive understanding of the different types of corals. Personally, I would add fish slowly--however, do a LOT of research first, because once a fish is in your tank it's darn hard to remove later on. And, the fish must be reef safe if you'll be adding corals later on. Keep reading and keep asking questions!

new2scene
03/22/2007, 11:19 AM
I better start playing 6-49 because this is getting redic! or get a rich husband!LOL . i bought 28 watts T-5s the guy at the lfs said "Sure they're good for corals" now i find out that they're no good. i've had them for 3 weeks and i am taking them back today and hopefully if my budjet allows i'll get better wattage and also give them s*!t

stupac21
03/22/2007, 11:34 AM
From what I understood, T-5's are good for most corals and are much less expensive than Metal Halides. - but I don't know much about the wattage.

I also have the plan to win the lotto and get new equipment!;)

awestruck
03/22/2007, 02:15 PM
T-5s are good as long as they have good reflectors. You definitely can keep some nice corals with T5 lighting. Keep goin' girl! :)

saabore
03/22/2007, 02:52 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with Red sea Skimmers. I started with one and it always has done an excellent job. It skims very good. When I moved to a bigger tank it was then that I purchased the PM Bullet 1.

So do not loose faith. Team, I have heard bad comments on RED Sea Skimers, can someone share what the concerns are? I never experienced them.

new2scene
03/22/2007, 05:04 PM
just got back from Big Al's. I bought the CF Deluxe Lunar Series by Corallife 36"
65 actnic
10k daylight
2, 3/4 watt Lunar Blue moon
with cooling fan

i paid 240 all together I'm really broke now and also bought a sea hare

Scuba_Steve
03/22/2007, 05:17 PM
Im planning on getting 8x54w t5 for my upcoming tank, and i will be keeping alot of sps and a few clams. Mind this is for a 120g not a 45g so you wouldnt need near as many bulbs. Is your 28w lights 4' long? If so they are normal output, not high output. The 54w are ho. But if your only planning on keeping softies, and maybe some easier lps and sps up high in the tank, no bulbs are fine, and they are ALOT cheaper when you have to replace the bulbs. Plus the bulbs will last longer than ho lights.

Scuba_Steve
03/22/2007, 05:18 PM
blah, ok nevermind :P lol

new2scene
03/22/2007, 06:35 PM
one 65w 10,000k daylight compact
65 actinic 03 blue CF
2 built in removable electronic ballasts (whatever they are)
cooling fan
reflector
it says higher light output

they said this would be better for corals. this is all they had within my budget. is this good

awestruck
03/23/2007, 08:21 PM
It's a good start. When you are ready to buy corals just get ones that don't require really strong lighting. And quite truthfully, there are some really, really pretty and interesting animals that you can put in your tank, and they'll do well, with your lighting. Just choose wisely and carefully!

new2scene
03/23/2007, 09:01 PM
do you have any suggestions as to what is colourful, hardy and is okay with my lighting and what and how to feed it. thanks

Scuba_Steve
03/23/2007, 09:40 PM
Mushrooms, leathers, some zoas, stay away from the really bright colored ones, xenia, kenya trees. Most softies will work. Just feed your tank as normal, and they will get food. you can also blow a lil food towards them with a turkey baster. Just dont overfeed. Cyclopeeze is also a great food for both your fish and corals, my personal favorite "treat" every couple days.

awestruck
03/24/2007, 08:15 AM
Hi new--last week I bought a red gargonian (it has white polyps) and geez is it pretty. And, it requires low lighting! I also have an amazingly pretty yellow leather devil's hand--when I say yellow I mean yellow. It's easy to keep and has an interesting shape (remember though, that most leathers need decent current and you might want to place it near the top of your tank). Blue, purple and green striped mushrooms are also pretty and certainly colorful. Zoanthids are very cool and come in a PLETHORA of colors. The other nice thing about the aforementioned corals is that they aren't too difficult to keep which is good when you're first starting out. Drs. Foster and Smith is a good place to begin because they have pretty decent prices. Additionally, scuba is right on when he says to not overfeed your corals. A standard favorite for corals is Cyclopeeze and 2 x week is sufficient. And New, less food is always better to begin because you don't want to pollute your tank with an excess of food. Hope this helps and keep on reefin'! :)

awestruck
03/24/2007, 08:28 AM
New, I had one more thought: I know you're probably REALLY excited to buy livestock, but I gently encourage you to first buy at least one powerhead. It really is important to move the water not only at the surface but in your tank as well. As I said earlier, I move water at the surface with a protein skimmer and a spray bar from the canister, plus I have 4 power heads (and could even use one more). This is all on a 58g., 36" long tank. The really good power heads are quite expensive, but you can get inexpensive ones from online vendors. Believe me, your corals will thank you!!!

new2scene
03/26/2007, 10:48 AM
okay i have spent quite a bit so for now the tank is empty, plus i'm waiting for the qt to cycle. i put a cupful of my sand from the mt. ive got the sea hare, 2 camel shrimp (one i can't find since he's molted) 5 hermits and 5 astrea's. i'm having problems with everything right now and it's really getting me pi$$ed off and discouraged. the prism skimmer that i got last week was working fine and now it wont make the froth. i've opened it all the way and still nothing. Also the heater i bought 2 weeks ago won't shut off so tomorrow i am going back to Big Al's and exchange since they won't give refund. also have to return the lights that i bought, wrong size. they must think i'm a real idiot! I thought having a parrot was complicated but it's actually a slice of cake compared to this!

awestruck
03/26/2007, 05:05 PM
New, first off, what do you mean the lights are the wrong size? And, did you purchase a glass heater--if so, exchange it for a better one (yes, the $ for a better one is essential because if it stays on with corals in the tank you could fry them). Next, the skimmer may be lacking froth because there probably isn't a whole lot of protein in your tank for it to skim. Take a step back, take a deep breath, and do this slowly and methodically. Some people run their tanks for months before they put anything in besides a few inverts. That's not a problem at all.

new2scene
03/26/2007, 09:00 PM
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18364/si13

would this add to my lighting to make a successful reef
this is what i have currently

one 65w 10,000k daylight compact
65 actinic 03 blue CF

awestruck
03/27/2007, 05:26 AM
Hi New, glad you're back. When I first got my tank there was no way I could afford Metal Halide (MH) lights (which are the strongest you can buy). So, I began with just one set of lights (pc). It wasn't nearly enough light but it was a start--I just bought a few lower light demanding corals and put them near the top. Now I have 3 hoods over my tank: 2 pcs, each 95 watt 10,000k 1/2 daytime and 1/2 actinic. I also have 1 t5 light which also is 1/2 daylight 1/2 actinic. None of these lights provide the lighting that MHs do, but I am able to keep some very beautiful corals with this much lighting. Do you need more light for corals? Yes. But, buy it as you can afford it. Don't stress. For now, when the tank is ready, get a few nice fish which will be fun. And remember, buy reef safe fish and take your time in choosing what kind because they will all need to get along. Again back to the lights, it would be great to buy everything you need all at once, and to get the best--but sometimes that's just not possible.