PDA

View Full Version : Please help me w/lighting for FOWLR

haywood2
03/21/2007, 03:55 PM
I need to do this as cheap as possible. Do you really need 2.5-3w per gallon to keep live rock? If thats the case I don't know if I will be able to afford it right now. I was thinking about buying an All-Glass triple tube strip light (36") and going from there...
How do you get so many watts with that amount of bulbs? Im really confused and would really appreciate someones help.

kaihonu82
03/21/2007, 03:59 PM
you don't need much light to keep LR...a normal output flourescent would do it...that would be decent if all you plan to keep is fish as well...i had a ~20W light on my tank for months before i upgraded to power compacts..

Nykademus
03/21/2007, 04:04 PM
If you are going to have a FOWLR tank ( fish only with live rock ) you do not need that much lighting. A power compact set up will be plenty. It will also afford you the ability to get lower light corals if you decide to in the future.

The set up that you described would be just fine.

The whole reason for lights per watt is for photosynthisis that corals and some animals are able to do. If you are not keeping corals, clams, or anemones.. I wouldnt worry about having tons of light.. just enough to make the tank look good.

haywood2
03/21/2007, 06:47 PM
Right now the tank has a 24" coralife 50/50 bulb. Is that enough light? I also have two dual 24" strip lights, both containing a power glo and marine glo that I could also use. Or am I going to need to go with 3 bulbs? I just want to do things right the first time. I am abosolutely positively NEVER going to get corals, I have no interest in them nor the patience. Thanks for the help.

drummereef
03/21/2007, 09:55 PM
Any light will work on a fowlr. Your fish really won't have a preference. To get the colors to come out, stronger lighting is a plus. Don't be too sure about the NO corals thought. That's what just about everyone says getting into this hobby. There are very low maintenance corals you could keep down the road. The biggest mistake is limiting your equipment from the start. You'll end up buying twice. ;)