PDA

View Full Version : My boxer crabs (pics)

Paliya
03/21/2007, 11:10 PM
I bought two boxer crabs recently, and I think that they're fighting! :( When I put them in the tank, I dropped them in pretty close to each other. It didn't take long for them to find each other and one chased the other off :( At first they both had anemones, but now only one of them does.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/pyates/bothBoxers.jpg

A few days later, I saw one of the boxer crabs missing 3 of his walking legs, and 1 of his claws :( Later he molted and had his legs and arms back, but they were kinda translucent. I've been target feeding him mysis shrimp and I think he's making a comeback. But a few days ago, I saw him again and he was missing his claws AGAIN!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/pyates/BoxerNoNems.jpg

The other boxer seems to be unharmed, and still has both of his anemones

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/pyates/BoxerWNems.jpg

I saw the one with anemones chasing the armless guy around again today. Will they keep fighting? Or will they eventually learn to get along? Also, how can I get anemone's to the boxer who doesn't have any? Can I capture the one with 2 anemones and somehow take 1 of them and put it in the little cave that the weakling boxer lives in? Or will this just kill the anemone?

Help needed!

petoonia
03/22/2007, 12:06 AM
If you have a refuge it might be a good idea to put the weakling in it. I dont have any experience with these particular crabs, but it seems to me that the weaker one will probably be killed.

ADA33
03/22/2007, 12:11 AM
I agree but im sure if you catch ether one and put in your fuge it will be ok. Just replying because those are great PICS!!!!!!

Paliya
03/22/2007, 11:08 AM
petoonia - I'm afraid that one will be killed also :( If I banish anyone to the fuge, it's going to be the bully!

widefx - thx! My boxers are fairly shy. I only really see them once every other day, so when I have the opportunity I get the camera! :)

The thing that confuses me is that I've read that many boxer crabs can be kept together. I've never heard of them fighting with each other. Furthermore, I read that they only use their claws for holding anemones. They're specialized for only that purpose; that's it, no pinching or anything like that. They use the first pair of their walking legs to hold on to mysis shrimp as they eat. So how the heck is the bully chopping the weaklings arms off?? How would these things even injure each other at all? The anemone can't sting through exoskeleton, can it?

But I've seen it 3 times now, the bully runs after the weakling, and the weakling runs and hides. It really looks like they hate each other. I'll try to seperate them and keep target feeding the injured guy. It's pretty amazing that after a single molt he can regenerate full legs and arms. Quite a phenomenon.

Any tips on getting him an anemone? Maybe the bully's anemones will split and he'll drop it on the rocks or something?

Thanks!
-P

1pix4c
03/22/2007, 06:27 PM
i had three of them in my 65, never a problem

iamwhatiam52
03/25/2007, 04:29 PM
More to the point, the one without anemones is missing its claws too!

Paliya
03/25/2007, 10:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9567572#post9567572 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iamwhatiam52
More to the point, the one without anemones is missing its claws too!

Exactly. I mention that in the first post... Someone's picking on him, and the only thing I've actually witnessed is the other boxer chasing him around. I haven't seen him for a few days, I hope he's okay!

Paliya
04/16/2007, 10:47 AM
Hi all,

I saw something really cool and had to provide an update! To re-cap on my boxer crab story: I have 2 boxers in my 50g, 1 of them keeps getting beat up (missing arms & legs, no anemones, etc.). He's the one standing in the zoa's with no arms in the first post.

So, a few days ago the 'weakling' molts again (2nd time since he's been in my tank) and gets his arms back. Score... I think to myself 'lets see how long it takes for him to get these ones torn off' :rolleyes:. So now he's back in full form, but still has no anemones. Well, yesterday I see him in his normal spot just hanging out, and this time he has an anemone! Not a zoo, not aiptasia, but a white pom pom anemone that looks just like the ones that he came with. In his other claw, he has a little tiny 'frag' of the white anemone too. It looks like he tried to split it or something.

That made me wonder where the heck he got it. So this morning, before the lights came on I looked for the 'bully' boxer crab to see if he was in his usual spot. He was! And he too had 1 big anemone and 1 little anemone! :) (he used to have 2 huge anemones, see 1st and 3rd pic on first post). He must have finally shared with the weakling! :love1: They were both out doing their morning Tai Chi rocking the anemones... I'm so happy!

I guess the moral of this story is that boxers do share anemones somehow. Whether it's a friendly sharing of resources, or a hostile take-over is still unknown. But I have witnessed with my own eyes boxers sharing their anemones. :rollface: Now I'm just hoping my weakling can hold on to them for more than a few days! :p

Lpabsolute
04/16/2007, 10:56 AM
Cool Pics....