PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer sizes?

rfdoc
03/22/2007, 10:07 AM
Looking for any recommendations for a hang on tank skimmer for a 72 gallon. The tank is currently curing live rock and will eventually have a couple of fish and soft corals. I need a HOB skimmer and I'm looking for something compact and unobtrusive, price doesn't matter much if it is small and does the job. The AquaC Remora Pro looks nice but the prefilter attachment looks enormous and will take up a lot tank space. Is there anything smaller out there? I've seen the Deltec MCE600 recommended here and that looks much more compact, however I can't find anywhere to buy it and even if I did I imagine it would be difficult to find replacement parts for it if anything ever happens to it. I don't want to spend $600 to take that chance. Is there anything else?

sjm817
03/22/2007, 10:12 AM
You can buy the MCE600 from www.deltecusa.us It is $468 and is a lot better than a Remora, but I'm not "wild" about it. I set one up on a friends tank and it has its ups and downs. The skimmer I like for a sumpless system is the Tunze DOC 9010. Its not HOB, but is an "in tank" skimmer. It is ~ 4.5" x 5" x 17". It sort of takes up the space that a RR overflow would.

rfdoc
03/22/2007, 10:43 AM
What about the Red Sea Prizm, is that better or worse than either the Remora or the Deltec?

raskal311
03/22/2007, 11:19 AM
Worse by far.

MercZ
03/22/2007, 12:04 PM
I have ther Red Sea and it works really well. I get a ton of skimmate and it foams fast. Very easy to dial in after emptying it out. I have yet to have a problem with it and I have had it for almost a year.

1nasty1
03/22/2007, 01:29 PM
I also have the Red sea and have had no problems with it but the instructions tell you to use atleast a 500g/ph pump with it which in my opinion is a little excessive.