PDA

View Full Version : gorilla crab wanted or other nuisance inverts

Smork81
03/22/2007, 01:26 PM
I need a few inverts, gorilla crab and things of that nature people do not normally want in their tanks. I need these guys for my fuge and sump. If anyone has hitchhikers on the LR they do not want then post here please. i would be willing to pay shipping.

If this is in the wrong forum mods let me know and i wil repost in the correct one.
thanks

Travis L. Stevens
03/22/2007, 02:20 PM
What good are they going to do in your refugium?

Bebo77
03/22/2007, 02:27 PM
lol and it would cost a grip to ship them.. lol... ask in your local club forum..

Smork81
03/22/2007, 02:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9542918#post9542918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis L. Stevens
What good are they going to do in your refugium?

Crabs filter feed if i am not mistaken, so extra filtering going on couldn't hurt. I would rather see these creatures that people flush have a home. :)

Smork81
03/22/2007, 02:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9542965#post9542965 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
lol and it would cost a grip to ship them.. lol... ask in your local club forum..

I do not know of any local reefers to contact in Mississippi or I would. :mad:

I did look but all I have seen was central AL and that is too far away. I live on the MS gulf coast and I am close to Mobile, AL.
If anyone knows a reefers club near me I would appreciate if you would post a link.

Travis L. Stevens
03/22/2007, 02:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9543020#post9543020 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Smork81
Crabs filter feed if i am not mistaken, so extra filtering going on couldn't hurt. I would rather see these creatures that people flush have a home. :)

No sir, there is only one kind of filter feeding crab; Porcelain Crabs. The other are opportunistic feeders. In a refugium, they would decimate any life in there. Your refugium, live rock, and sand bed should be all the filtration that you need. If you still can't keep up, then your bioload is too heavy, you're over feeding, or you don't have enough nutrient export like water changes. Plus, most of the filter feeders out there actually eat LIVE prey and not just junk drifting around.

Smork81
03/22/2007, 03:02 PM
The blue crab we have here filter feed and eat basicly whatever they can get there pinchers on. So i don't think the crab you mentioned previously is the ONLY filter feeding crab. Like I said I would rather have a home for these than someone flush it. Nothing is in the fuge besides plants and nothing is in the sump but rock. So it would destroy nothing. This is ultimatly my decision to put w/e I want in my fuge and sump. With that said if you don't have anything but negative remarks please do not post here. I do however encourage people that have nuisance species to post here and we can talk.
Thanks

Bebo77
03/22/2007, 03:04 PM
clubs...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=80

Smork81
03/22/2007, 03:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9543310#post9543310 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
clubs...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=80

Yes i have been through that before I even posted this. Central alabama is no where near south MS. Any others on there I can not see close ones.

Travis L. Stevens
03/22/2007, 03:13 PM
I believe there is a reef club in New Orleans that isn't too far away from you. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=174

Smork81
03/22/2007, 03:20 PM
Yeh about a 2 hour drive depending on where at in NO. Doesn't look like too many people use it though. heh Still it is open to anyone that wants to get rid of "junk" they do not want.

Stanton
03/22/2007, 04:30 PM
Check out MBRK.com. It's a local reef club here in Mobile.

Vitaly
03/22/2007, 04:32 PM
<B>Smork81</B>,

Kudos to you for trying to save some of the critters that are otherwise stabbed/crushed, frozen or flushed. However, be aware that you may see some carnage from these guys if you put them in your sump.

I started this thread back in December 2006:

<I>"Gorilla Crabs -- Where Is The Love?"</I>
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=998192

To summarize, I found two Gorilla Crab hitchhikers and a Whelk in my rock. Moved them into the sump, containing rock and chaeto. I made sure to throw food in there daily to feed them and encourage pod growth.

The whelk disappeared shortly thereafter, found an empty shell.

Recently, I found one of the Gorilla Crabs dismembered...carapice, claws, legs, etc (and it was not a molt...it was a "carcass"). The other crab is still in there. Looks healthy and has become very large.

I still think they deserve some love...but unless my experience is unique...do not expect to see peaceful co-habitation with these critters.

I will continue to house the remaining Gorilla Crab in my sump, alone. He sits in the rocks and scurries out to grab chunks of food that I drop in. Otherwise he does absolutely nothing. I do not believe he contributes in any way to filtration.

Smork81
03/23/2007, 05:23 AM
Stanton, Thanks for the site. I had heard there was one here in mobile but could never find out any info on it. ;)

Vitaly, Is carnage always bad? :D Anyway, I do have plenty of space for these guys and soon to be more in my 110g w/ 40g sump getting ready to start this month. So that along with my other fuge and sump for my 55g i think I will have enough space for a couple atleast. Plus I just think they are soo cute, they kind of remind me of the teddy bear crab. :) Thanks for both your post!

Smork81
03/26/2007, 02:19 PM
Bump for the crabs

Smork81
03/31/2007, 11:25 PM
Bump again...Anyone have small crabs they do not want or want to get rid of id like to have them and i am willing to pay shipping
Thanks
-Nika