PDA

View Full Version : my falling corals

ffwalker
03/22/2007, 04:22 PM
does anyone have advice on how to keep corals on rocks? mine are really happy where i put them until either a fish or snail knock them off! ive tried putting them in holes and ive tried miliput but niether have worked. il be greatful for any advice oh and my gorgonia keeps fallin over in the sand i just cant get it to stay standing?

Jocool
03/22/2007, 04:44 PM
If you can stick the gorgs in a hole.

ffwalker
03/22/2007, 04:45 PM
no they wont go anywhere they really like it where they are and still bloom when fallen onto the glass but it looks rubbish?

dendro982
03/22/2007, 10:44 PM
Same problem with my red gorgonian. It's continue to open, but in a long run could be a problem.

If you can remove the rock, where they will be, drill hole in it and wedge the coral's rubble rock base into it - it will be great.

As a last resort - read about mounting gorgonians http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-10/fotm/index.php and may try to cut the top tissue away and superglue the central rod into the hole in the rock.
Caution: I did that for red finger gorgonian a couple weeks ago, do far- so good, it opens to feed; but the small branch, mounted the same way, was broke at the base during vacuuming the bottom.

lvreefer
03/23/2007, 05:07 PM
I have used two-part clay epoxy like AquaStik. Just make a ball, stick the base in it, and then attach it to a rock, side or bottom of the aquarium.

kingfisher62
03/24/2007, 06:41 AM
Lvreefer, when you use the epoxy is it permanent ? what if you decide to place the coral elsewhere?

dendro982
03/25/2007, 06:18 AM
I did that once - used epoxy stick to mount the chili upside down - it seems the only way to do that. In a month-two, I had to move that chili to another tank (it stopped to open), had to remove rock and chisel out the coral. It took a long time - Oatey epoxy from hardware store is rock-hard.

Next time I will better do the 2-teeth fork from the LR, and hang the coral base there.

Here it is (sorry for too big photo):
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/dendro982/Soft%20corals/chilioldMar18_06.jpg