PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Use Rubbermaid Stock Tanks...

drummereef
03/23/2007, 12:09 PM
How do you deal with microbubbles in your Rubbermaid Stock Tanks? Do you use baffes of some kind? How do you plumb the tank?

Any help and pics would be appreciated. :)

mc-cro
03/23/2007, 12:57 PM
I use a wall made of base rock. about 100lbs stacked like a stone wall right across the center to above water line. all the drains go to one side, and they bubbles must make it through the cracks in the rocks, the intake for the pump on the other side of the wall.

wife no likey
03/23/2007, 01:03 PM
Previously, I had an eggcrate divider in mine. Currently, I just have the drain dumping in on one side, while the input going to my return pump is extended from the bulkhead.

I just made a little pipe extension, so the strainer is in the middle of the tub (if you follow me)

drummereef
03/23/2007, 06:42 PM
^

law086
03/23/2007, 07:15 PM
I use a 32 gallon Rubbermaid garbage can as a bubble trap. You drill holes in the bottom. The bubbles move to the top and pop while water is drawn out of the can in the holes at the bottom.

Here's a picture:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/law086/IMG_2571.jpg

kaptken
03/23/2007, 09:16 PM
Daaang!! Do reef tanks really need that much plumbing, wiring, power and equipment? We gotta find a simpler way!!!

how does Mother nature do it without all this stuff?

Still scratchin my head!

Chad Vossen
03/23/2007, 10:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9555623#post9555623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kaptken
Daaang!! Do reef tanks really need that much plumbing, wiring, power and equipment? We gotta find a simpler way!!!

how does Mother nature do it without all this stuff?

Still scratchin my head!

well, the extreme amount of livesand and liverock in the ocean takes care of alot of filtration, then you have plants and animals to take up nutrients, and skimming is observed in the wave zone (ever wonder what that sea foam is on the beach?), lights come from sun, natural wave motion from well, waves...

yes it can be done more simple. the bigger you get though the more crazy it gets.

law086
03/24/2007, 07:21 AM
Well, I have around 400 gallons of water and a lot of equipment. Since it's winter here, I'm running like six heaters, so that adds a lot of wires :-)

That plumbing you see are the return from my display, three returns from my refugium and two returns from my frag tank.

I also have a top off unit, kalk reactor, calcium reactor and skimmer around there too... so it all adds up!

Ron