PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Tank size for Serpent Star

2farNorth
03/23/2007, 04:21 PM
I'm planning on upgrading my 90g reef, to a 120g, and I am looking for homes for all my 'critters'. Most will go in a 55g that I'm setting up temporarily.. But, I also have an established 38g mixed tank that the only occupant is a Blue Damsel, a few snails and hermits...and of course, shrooms and such...

Question, do you think a 38g tank is large enough for a Tiger-striped serpent star (Ophiolepsis Surperba)? I would like to add him permanently to the 38g, but I'm not sure there would be enough room for him to 'roam'...

Any opinions would be appreciated!!!

DaveJ
03/23/2007, 05:07 PM
Depends on how big he is.... serpants don't need a huge amount of space. I have one in a 29 and its been doing fine for over a year. Its about 6" across. So long as you feed it occasionally, it should be fine. Just keep in mind that the smaller the tanks get, the more stability is critical for inverts. Salinity, pH and nitrates can flux quickly so you'll need to keep those in check to avoid potential problems.

Shekki
03/23/2007, 05:31 PM
It will be fine. I had a huge one in my nano for about a year until he moved to the 75. Just make sure it gets enough to eat.

2farNorth
03/23/2007, 07:37 PM
That is one of the things I am worried about, stability, when I transfer my rock out of the 90, and into the 55, I'm concerned about a possibly small cycle.. which probably wouldn't be good for him,, even the cleaner shrimp... then of course, waiting until the 120 is up and ready to go... that's why I thought of the 38...

as for size, he is probably getting close to 12", a single leg is over 6".... the more I look at him, and the 38,, sheesh,, he is big!! <L>

I think I'm going to really keep an eye on the 38,, see what fluctuates.. the salinity stays right on...nitrates are at 0 on the kit,,, PH, well not sure.. right now it's at 8.3, but it probably dips a little at night....

But as for the 'size' of the tank, it should be ok? Basically just an issue with stability?