PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Clown Trigger?

PuffersKick
03/23/2007, 05:34 PM
Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I have had 3 clown triggers, and every single one of them had MAJOR parasites that wound up killing them.

I did the proper QT, gave fresh water dip, fed with garlic soaked food. And I even have 2 UV sterilizers in my tank.

I did everything I could think of, but it was only a matter of time before they got the cloudy eyes and parasites.

These are the only fish I have ever had this problem with too.

The sad thing is I they are my favorite fish in the hobby, and I really want one, but don't know how to get my hands on a healthy one.

Is this a common theme among these fish? Do I need to look for anything in particular?

vangoghfish
03/23/2007, 08:08 PM
I am also thinking about a clown, just had a major die-off of fish, and starting over, curious on some answers.

danorth
03/23/2007, 09:11 PM
One without a pinched gut going into a not-new tank without hostile inhabitants is all it takes.

1. Good looking fish.

2. Tank that is good to go, not new or within one month of "all params are in check"-Tank needs to get a bit seasoned still IMO.

3. Don't have mean fish wanting to kill it that are already in the tank.

4. Have some good rock work for it to get comfortable with and some lighting of some kind. Make it want to live!

5. Feed it. Not just what you want it to eat, but what it wants to eat. Adjust the diet later once it is established.

PuffersKick
03/28/2007, 08:26 PM
OK!!! Now I'm frustrated!

I got my 3rd clown 2 weeks ago. FAT, HEALTHY, ACTIVE, ALERT, eating right away. In fact the guy at the LFS told me it was a trade in meaning someone else had it in their tank and brought it back b/c it was acting aggresively towads some of her other fish.

So I get this guy, and now he's developed parasites in his eyes!

This is just UNREAL TO me.

NONE of my other fish have EVER had this.

So now what do I do? Do I have to catch him and FW dip him? Or is there another treatment?

danorth
03/28/2007, 11:39 PM
My poweder blue tang got huge popeye on its right eye. Huge. I left it the hell alone and it went away in 2 weeks and now you couldn't tell anything ever happened. Perfectly healthy fish before, during, after. It can't be in his eye, just on his eye. A FW dip should release the parasite if that is what you are looking at.

So, lets get this hashed out....what are you looking at? Have a pic? If not get one and post it.