PDA

View Full Version : Most significant chemicals to track?

SoupySteve
03/24/2007, 07:35 AM
One of the most useful tools I've ever used to keep my system heathly and thriving was to use of a journal that I kept. I had it on my laptop - any time I'd do ANYTHING aside from top-off and feeding, I made note of it - and recorded the easily measured parameters of the tank (you can get S.G. and temp with GREAT EASE... that was 2 years ago.
My current tank was an awesome 110g - before we went just shy of 2wks without power :sad:
Now, after an abbreiviated cycle and only 10% of my original livestock, I'm stuggling to keep my tank's water quality consistent and healthy by simple weekly 20% water changes... and monitoring the SG :bum:
I lost all of my test kits (the ones I had were Red Sea) when there was a mysterious case of 1/2 of ALL THE BOTTLES' contents spontaneously emptying :mad:
Now, all I am left with are my 2 swing arm Hydrometers and a couple of sick-on-glass-style thermometers. I used to measure calcium, alk, nitrAtes, NitItes, ammonia, pH ... I think that's it... but now I have a mortgage and not quite the cashflow... if I had to try to keep my budget for UNDER $100, what meters/kits would you get? I'm almost positive that a TDS meter is most important (so I can make sure the FIRST step in water quality of my tank is adequate).
Any suggestions are appreciated!

Billybeau1
03/24/2007, 10:31 AM
After the tds meter, a pH monitor would be next on my list. Then I would invest in a refractometer for your s.g. as swing arms tend to give false readings. Even the cheap refracts are better then a swing arm.

As far as the other parameters, Calcium and Alk are the most frequent I test for. Magnesium about once a month.

Since my tank is established, I only test Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate once a month.

I also test phosphate when my microalgae starts showing up.

Bri Guy
03/24/2007, 11:30 AM
I test for: Temp, Salinity, pH, Calcium, and Alk, on a regular basis.

I have some others laying around, but I only test If something looks wrong (or Im bord). Water changes take care of most of my trace (good and bad) elements.

I have never tested for TDS, but IF I made my own RO/DI, then I would be testing that.

Sounds like youve invested once in water testing equipment, my advice would be to spend a bit on some good testing equipment, before you restock, and then your journal will be more accurate this time around.

P.S. I never really knew my true pH untill I got a monator, I thought I was running 8-8.2, after the real test (AC Jr.), I was 7.6-7.8, big differance.

Good luck!!

bertoni
03/24/2007, 01:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9558721#post9558721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bri Guy
I test for: Temp, Salinity, pH, Calcium, and Alk, on a regular basis.

I test the same, but also test magnesium. I haven't tested ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite in a long time. Nitrite is the least useful, since it's not toxic and many nitrate test kits will show its presence through interference.

reefnetworth
03/24/2007, 02:32 PM
Alk, pH, Ca, Mg, and NO/3. NO/3 weekly, it stays around 5-6 mg/L, everything else stays "ALMOST" perfect. Good luck and sorry to hear about your tank. the same thing (ice storm) happened here about 10 yrs. ago. wiped out almost everything i had also.
JDM...:p