PDA

View Full Version : Clown fish digging

jpv
03/24/2007, 07:49 AM
I have a pair of clown fish 1 male and 1 female. I just transfered them to a new 75 gallon. I had them from over 2 years in a 29 gallon. They were the only fish in that tank for the last year.
Since I put them in the 75 gallon they have been digging causing a constant sand storm. What are doing? Will they eventually stop?
I like the clowns and would hate to get rid of them.

frederickk
03/24/2007, 09:21 AM
You should put an anemone in there (if it was in your intention) and they will stop digging and start hosting the anemone.

kirstenk
03/24/2007, 09:39 AM
I had a pair of GSM Clowns with a huge RBTA. They were a spawning pair. The female did the digging and I think it was a territorial thing for her. If your 75 is newer the sand stirring is a problem now but as the sand matures, the storms won't be so bad as it settles back down fast.

jpv
03/24/2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the replys, So is she digging because they want to spawn?

kirstenk
03/24/2007, 09:57 AM
Thats a good possibility. :)

coralfish
03/24/2007, 10:29 AM
My experience is they dig, just because its their nature. They will dig, dig, dig. An anemone will probably not help, as mine didn't care. Good luck with the sand storms....eventually the sand will cover your rock.

frederickk
03/24/2007, 10:33 AM
I've heard that it can take a lot of time sometime for them to host.

I bought a purple tip sabae anemone lately and my clowns are still wondering if they should host it or not.

Bret61081
03/24/2007, 10:55 AM
Ive had my paid of GSM for over 2 years with a BTA and they still dig all the time...I HATE IT!! They move all the sand from around the anemone weekly...and I just move it back! I was considering getting rid of them to find a pair that doesnt dig...but I was told all will..

scoutmaniak
03/24/2007, 06:12 PM
My large female cinnamon will dig some. The pair domanate the left side island in my tank. But it is not a probablem, she only does it every now and then. I dont have any anemone yet, so I dont have an opinion about that... I really think it is a territory thing. She only does it inside the island, to let other fish know its hers, lol. My ocellaris, purcula pair in my nano never dig...go figure.

Michael

xxseawolf
03/24/2007, 07:55 PM
i have 1 GSM that host a sebae nem. she dug down to the glass bottom. i moved the nem to the top of the tank and the little chit still dug. be sure you have large enough rocks that are stable so that when they dig the rock or rocks dont shift or collapse. good luck and p.s. i love my clown.

Voxboy
03/25/2007, 09:38 AM
My tomatoe clown digs all the time even though she has taken to my BTA. The real problem is that she picks up little pieces of gravel and drops them in my Sarcos causing them to close.....turkey baster time. She's an awesome fish...*****y too.