PDA

View Full Version : Will peppermint shrimp eat copods??

spleify
03/24/2007, 11:14 PM
I want to put some in my refugium, but amafraid they will eat all the copods. Thanks in advance.

spleify
03/25/2007, 09:06 PM
Hello??

marie
03/25/2007, 09:31 PM
I think you should be fairly safe putting peppermint shrimp in. They might eat some of your feather dusters and worms and maybe a few of your pods but if you keep them well fed they shouldn't clean you out

GreshamH
03/25/2007, 10:57 PM
IMO unless your trying to get rid of something in your "fuge", a peppermint shrimp isn't a suitable "fuge" animal. I have personally seen them wipe heavily populated "fuges" of all visiable copepods, mysids, amphipods, etc. While feeding them will help keep them inline, it does two things that IMO and IME aren't conducive to the concept of a refugium:
1. it will no longer be a refugium by definition (place for things to take refuge)
2. adds extra nutrients by feeding an animal in a part of your system that is supposed to be for removal of nutrients.

Hello??

Hi :D

HBtank
03/25/2007, 11:12 PM
I think they would eat anything they can catch. JMO. I keep two in my display, and have mixed feelings about them. They are pretty voracious in my opinion, but have served there aptasia killing purpose. I am hoping they dissapear like the last :/

AquaReeferMan
03/25/2007, 11:15 PM
My large peppermint destroys my pod population in my display. I can only imagine what he would do in a smaller space. GreshamH summed it up great

marie
03/25/2007, 11:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9570363#post9570363 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaReeferMan
My large peppermint destroys my pod population in my display. I can only imagine what he would do in a smaller space. GreshamH summed it up great

My peppermints haven't even made a dent in my pod population and i still have lots of mysid shrimp, brittle stars and worms they are a little hard on the feather dusters though

and they have been in my 55g tank for 2 years now

GreshamH
03/26/2007, 12:06 AM
YMMV as with most experiences in reefkeeping which is why my post started with IMO :D I can only tell you what I have seen and experienced myself.

marie
03/26/2007, 12:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9570589#post9570589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
YMMV as with most experiences in reefkeeping which is why my post started with IMO :D I can only tell you what I have seen and experienced myself.

Me too, I really do need to remember to add the IMO part :lol:

spleify
03/26/2007, 06:48 PM
Ok thanks for all the help thats why I asked. I had just heard if they breed the baby shrimp are good food for the display tak. But if they are going to kill off everything else it hardly seems worth it. Again thanks for all the help.