PDA

View Full Version : What Should AMDA Do ? The Solution.

aquaticvet1
03/25/2007, 08:28 AM
This seems to be a frequent question from within the hobby.

AMDA, The American Marinelife Dealers Association is a group of individuals who are in the Aquatics industry. Today, they are retailers who's main objective is to oppose Ecommerce, oppose dropshipping of fish and coral, ( which is the most healthy for the livestock), oppose the big box aquarium retailers and oppose any livestock wholesaler or importer that sells to the above.
As such, DrsFosterSmith.com, LiveAquaria.com, Premium Aquatics, MarineDepot, Petco, Petsmart, Walmart, MarineCenter, ReeferMadness and the likes cannot be participating members.

Now, if an organization is truly looking out for the best interest of the Livestock and the Hobbyist, why would they ignore the very entities that sell and care for the MAJORITY of the livestock? Answer, personal gain with no real care for the livestock or the industry in it's entirety. Result, a powerless industry dividing organization--- at a time when the hobby needs unity the most.

Now the Solution-------
AMDA should live up to it's name. Include everyone in the Industry that handles livestock as members. Do not restrict membership to small traditional retailers, all with a personal agenda.. They are a dying breed and not representative of the new industry.

What is the proof that I know what I am talking about ?
AMDA returned my check when I attempted joining-- along with a verbal message that Etailers will never be welcome. One very prominent AMDA member even referred to Wholesalers as "Hoesalers", in a written public message. Good grief ! The "Hoe" comment came out of Bowling Green, Kentucky. I apologize for these kind of words especially to the parents of the young hobbyist. What does Fish and Game, the AVMA, PETA and the USDA think when we call each other "Hoes"? Sickening is what I think. Curious as to what AMDA thinks.

Hobbyist's, as one of your professionals I have my work cut out for me. I will lead until the industry finds a logical path that will make us all proud to follow.---- All I ask of you, the hobbyist, is your continued support of LiveAquaria.com.----- That would help me in my cause, as there is strength in numbers. LiveAquaria.com and I have become--- your voice.

Thank you, Race Foster, D.V.M.

This is simply a statement to my customers as I have repeatedly been asked the question. This is not a debate but simply my view and it shall remain debate free in this 'Paid For" forum. It may be moved and debated elsewhere.

DrDNA
03/29/2007, 11:33 AM
Hi Race,

It sounds like it's time for the ever growing ecommerce industry to "go it's own way" and develop your own trade organization, if indeed the AMDA doesn't want any part of you guys.
I do have another question... are any of you members of state or national commercial aquaculture organizations? I thought I remembered seeing a tropical fish symposium when I was at an aquaculture conference in Las Vegas a year or so ago for the Calif Aquaculture Assoc meeting.

Best of luck,
Jeff

DFS
03/29/2007, 02:23 PM
DrDNA,

I wanted to respond to your comment and question as Dr. Foster will be out of the office for a week or so.

Currently, the groundwork is being laid for an all new organization that is truly representative of the entire aquarium industry. This new organization will encompass exporters, importer, wholesalers, aquaculture companies, transshippers, distributors, retailers, etailers, and service companies, allowing for a true "voice" for everyone that works in the aquarium industry, and not just one small sector. I look forward to our participation in this organization so that we can address some important issues such as sustainability, reef conservation, improving collection, handling, and holding protocols, and other very important topics that need to be addressed in order to strengthen the aquarium industry.

Currently, we are not a member of the World Aquaculture Society or any state or national aquaculture organization. This is mainly due to the fact that we are not producing food fish, crustaceans, or mollusks, which is the primary focus of the WAS, who represent these sectors of Aquaculture, and provide a resource for these producers. As Coral Farming, and the production of Marine Ornamentals grows, perhaps the WAS will provide more resources for these "new" sectors of Aquaculture.

I also attended the Aquaculture America show, held in Vegas last year. This show ran concurrently with the Marine Ornamentals Symposium 06 which focused on Sustainability of Marine Ornamentals. I spent the majority of my time attending the presentations and round table discussions on Sustainability as this was more pertinent to our company and the live tropical fish industry. There were some fantastic presentations which dealt with better collection and handling practices, conservation, as well as collection area management.

Thank you for your participation in our forum section here on RC.

Sincerely,
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

DrDNA
03/29/2007, 09:08 PM
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. I do hope that eventually we see an organization that does represent the marine ornamentals trade as a whole. You are probably more aware of this than I am, but it is just a matter of time until this industry is targeted by environmental groups for not having standardized animal welfare protocols etc. From my own experience with aquaculture and resource management, it would certainly behoove the industry as a whole to be proactive with regards to animal welfare, instead of being reactionary after being boycotted or regulated out of existence etc due to negative press from the likes of PETA.
This would also be of great benefit to the hobbiest since he/she would know that certain guidelines exist and are being followed regarding, as you said, animal care, collection, and reef conservation. I also believe that a lot of hobbiests, myself included, do try to buy aquacultured animals when possible, as opposed to wild caught.
Anyway I will get off my soapbox :) Keep up the great work!

Jeff