PDA

View Full Version : return plumbing help

PatrickG 78
03/25/2007, 01:48 PM
I will be installing a new return pump and was wondering what pipe sizes to use. The pump is a Iwaki wmd-30rlxt. I believe this is a non pressure rated pump, 19GPM , 13.4 ft max head. It will be in the stand under the tank. The outlet is 1" and I'll be splitting into 2 outlets when it gets up to the tank. I don't know what size pipe to use after the split?Eventually I'll maybe get some sea swirls and some pentductors to use on the two ends. I was reading about the pentductors and they need a certain outlet pressure to function properly which I dont know how to figure out whats right for my setup. Should I use 1/2 or 3/4 pipe after the split ? Any help would be appreciated.

Balz
03/25/2007, 02:09 PM
What ever you decide to use, I'd put Unions on each end of you tee so if you need to change it later it will be a quick and easy swap. my 2 pennies

RocketEngineer
03/26/2007, 09:41 AM
Reading the Penductors page, they do not recommend using them with Sea Swirls. I was looking at something similar. The reasoning is that the penductors require alot of pressure in the pipe to function properly and the sea swirls aren't designed for that kind of pressure.

http://www.kthsales.com/website/Misc/hello_salt_water_enthusiasts.htm

Currently, I plan to put a penductor through a bulkhead fitting then using a 45 degree elbow point it accros the tank. One of these in each corner would create alot of chaotic flow in the middle of the tank with calmer areas in the corners.

To the pipe size question, keeping the pipe size the same until the actual penductor will result in the most pressure at the penductor resulting in a more efficient penductor.

Hope that helps.