PDA

View Full Version : I hate superglue...

Ursus
03/25/2007, 02:02 PM
Yesterday was like any other day. I woke up, stumbled into and out of the shower, got dressed and went to go check out my tank to see if any rocks had been pushed aside by a large mithrax crab during the night. Of course, two rocks were pushed from where they usually rest, but nothing major, or so I thought. I go to look at my favorite paly frag which is growing nicely only to discover an empty frag tile :mad:

Now, this being my favorite frag, I'm not about to let it just disappear. So I set about tearing my rock work apart looking for it. All I accomplished was to destroy the aquascaping on the left side of my tank. But while I had things so messed up, I was able to catch my giant mithrax and move him to the sump. This was the only good that came out of the situation. Now I had lost my frag and made my tank look like crap all because the stupid superglue didn't hold.

Today after much contemplation, I again tore up my rock trying to find my frag. Luckily, this time I was successful. Now that I have superglue on pretty much all of my fingers, that frag better stay put!

Sorry for the long, pointless story. I just had to vent.

dc_909
03/25/2007, 02:12 PM
I always glue my frag and put in my tray at the bottom until the polyps attach themselves to the plug/rock

Ursus
03/25/2007, 02:22 PM
Thats a good idea. I was thinking of making a corral with some eggcrate to sort of fence them in so if they do come loose, the won't get swept away in the current.

ficklefins
03/25/2007, 02:39 PM
That sucks. I know how you feel, just had the same thing happen to me (minus the crab).

I've gotta setup a lower flow frag setup area.

edwing206
03/25/2007, 02:40 PM
I know how you feel. I've had it happen many times.

chrisstie
03/26/2007, 10:07 AM
I've had a paly become unglued and i never could find it.. i went back and got some RPE this weekend to make up for the loss - and glue? EVERYWHERE i suck at it. too bad zoas aren't easily epoxied like bigger harder corals

PnoyReefeR
03/26/2007, 11:25 AM
Yup happens to me the other day . Got a nice trade with a fellow reefer then I glued the zoas on the disc then the next night it was just the plug. I was going to break my 180 lasnight but I said F! it..

dc_909
03/26/2007, 11:26 AM
Are you using gel or regular?

micromount
03/26/2007, 02:05 PM
I hear you. Oh where ,Oh where is my clump of Bam Bam's? Got knocked over and are under the live rock someplace.

Bebo77
03/26/2007, 02:10 PM
i use BSI IC gel.. works better than anyother glue i have tried...

Ursus
03/27/2007, 01:05 AM
I was using the loctite gel. I'm thinking I should try the BSI IC gel as everyone I talk to seems to enjoy it.

benya29
03/27/2007, 01:32 PM
even with the bsi gel this happens to me and not just afew times....actually happened this week im gonna try the crate thing but its so upsetting when u get a frag and then the next day you come and you can never find it again

MUCHO REEF
03/28/2007, 08:38 AM
Whenever you glue, also use a piece of thread to softly, not tightly, to secure the frag to a plug or rock. I have done this for years and it always works. If you are gluing a soft frag with no substrate or rock attached, chances are great that it will detach and float away to an intake or behind the reef. Using a piece of thread for a few weeks until the frag begins to spread onto the plug/rock, will insure that it stays put. Then remove the thread and you're good to go. I have even placed scissors into the water, snipped the thread, and pull it out with tweezers without ever disturbing the frag at all.

Mucho Reef

MarvinsReef
03/28/2007, 09:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9589185#post9589185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MUCHO REEF
Whenever you glue, also use a piece of thread to softly, not tightly, to secure the frag to a plug or rock. I have done this for years and it always works. If you are gluing a soft frag with no substrate or rock attached, chances are great that it will detach and float away to an intake or behind the reef. Using a piece of thread for a few weeks until the frag begins to spread onto the plug/rock, will insure that it stays put. Then remove the thread and you're good to go. I have even placed scissors into the water, snipped the thread, and pull it out with tweezers without ever disturbing the frag at all.

Mucho Reef

another good advice and a must try... :)

Thanks Mucho...

tkeracer619
03/29/2007, 09:34 AM
I think the key is not to over apply the glue.

I find when I glob it on the frag is more prone to comming off. A tiny amount is all thats needed. Also tissue needs to be in contact with the plug or rock your gluing it to and it will stick to the plug in a matter of days. I only use a dot of the cheep gel.