PDA

View Full Version : brook help needed

jelwyoming
03/25/2007, 08:21 PM
I have a 120g tall reef tank with an established pair of ocellaris clowns living in a GBTA for nearly 2 years. A couple of months ago, I came across a deal on a RBTA. I added that and after about 2 weeks added a small pair of supposedly tank bred gold band maroons. They took to the new BTA right away. Since the BTA's are on opposited ends and levels of the tank the old clowns payed no attention to them.
Within 3 days the little new clowns died. I put it off to poor shipping. No sign of anything else. I added an older pair of maroons that again took to the vacant BTA right away. All clowns getting along fine. All was well for about 2 weeks when the male ocellaris disappeared. About this time my chiller died and my tank temperature is moving from 73-83F while I cool it with fans until the new chiller get here. I thought that was it. I replaced him. The old female accepted the new young one quickly. All was well for about 2-3 weeks. Next the new male disappeared a week later agan. (no more new ones for now). Two weeks later the female maroon disappeared and two days later (today) my old female ocellaris died. At least this time I saw that over a day or two. No symptoms other than leaving the nem and swinging near the top. No white mucus, no spots, just a bit more rapid breathing. The female maroon was some what the same but never left the nem.
Could they be that sensitive to the temperature swings or could I have brook in the tank now? I have a 25w UV unit that I was going to put on the tank but haven't got to it. Will that tank care of it? I would hate to tear down the tank to rid it of this, but I am down to one male Maroon now that stays hidden in the BTA.
Please don't hammer me on not quarintining these. I made the mistake of assuming that a tank bred clown was relatively safe. Wrong assumption.

jelwyoming
03/26/2007, 07:40 AM
anyone have any ideas about brook or clown susceptibility to temperature or alkalinity changes?

jelwyoming
03/26/2007, 10:47 AM
Clownfish experts?

pv1191
03/26/2007, 12:13 PM
Sounds like what happened to me this weekend. My mated pair of true perc's died within hours or each other. No symptoms other than rapid breathing and twitching at the very end. Levels are good and all other fish are fine. 4 spotted cardinals and one blue tang. All doing great

jelwyoming
03/26/2007, 12:32 PM
Very puzzling. I don't know if I need to take some other action or sit back and see what happens. I have one more clown that is doing fine; adds to the puzzle.

Slakker
03/26/2007, 02:35 PM
I'd sure put on the UV sterilizer...can't hurt anything at this point, right?

It's really tough to say what it was...but it doesn't sound like brook...brook usually has more visible symptoms than this.

In any case, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss!

jelwyoming
03/26/2007, 03:08 PM
I plan on that. I wonder why it's mostly affecting the clowns?

jelwyoming
03/26/2007, 04:47 PM
bump for an evening comment

MarinaP
03/26/2007, 05:27 PM
Higher temps deplete O2. Check the levels and/or add an airstone.

Check for predator crabs/shrimp.

TR clowns are almost always exposed to WC clowns in the dealer's tanks. QT.

jelwyoming
03/26/2007, 06:21 PM
I have quite a bit of airation going on with 1200gph recirc and another 2300gph "in the tank" flow. I also have an airstone in the sump for added airation.
I am wondering if they are sensitive to that large a temperature change directly? 73F at night and 82-83F peak during the day. My new chiller get here tomorrow.
Every thing else in the tank including all inverts and corals are ok.
Lost the last male maroon today. Just disappeared.
I am beginning to suspect the yellow brittle star that is in there.

jelwyoming
03/26/2007, 08:10 PM
bump....bump ....help!

jelwyoming
03/27/2007, 09:21 AM
bump

jelwyoming
03/27/2007, 12:24 PM
help?

jelwyoming
03/28/2007, 08:09 PM
Any more advice?

Slakker
03/28/2007, 11:00 PM
sorry man, I got nothin...you might have some luck at the disease forum though.