PDA

View Full Version : 2 dead percula's

pv1191
03/26/2007, 11:54 AM
I had two perc clowns that have been in my system for a week. They acclimated well and were eating great. I fed them in the afternoon on 03-25 and the female did not seem too interested. The male ate fine. A couple hours later the female was twitching and laying on the sand bed. She died very shortly after. I didn't have time to set anything up. The male seemed ok so I let him be. When I was leaving for work this morning I found him dead as well. They had no spots, no film or slime, no loss of color. ***. I have 4 spotted cardinals and a blue tang that are doing fine. Eating like pigs and acting normally. I checked my peramiters on 03-25 and they were all good

PH 8.2
SG .022
nitrate 0
nitrie 0
ammonia 0

Inverts are all doing well and I did my last 10% water change about a week ago. I going to do another one tonight. Any suggestions on what might have caused this?

Hattie B
03/26/2007, 03:18 PM
Did they come from the same place?

Did you notice anything differnet about the way they looked after a week compared to the other fish?

Id your tank grounded?

pv1191
03/26/2007, 04:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9575147#post9575147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hattie B
Did they come from the same place?

Did you notice anything differnet about the way they looked after a week compared to the other fish?

Id your tank grounded?

Yes they came from the same place at the same time. They appeared to be very healthy with no outward signs of problems. To my peril I did not use a QT tank. That mistake is not going to happen again. They looked fine until sun afternoon. Even then there was no noticeable color change. Just behavior. Labored breathing, lack of movement, then with an hour or so twitching and death. I did not see how the male died. I woke up to that one but when I went to bed he seemed fine. No spots, slime, or strange behavior. I have been reading about Brooklynella and that may be the culprit. But again there were no spots, or loss of color. I don't know I'm going to monitor closely the remainder of my live stock and if anything appears out of the ordinary I'll treat them in the QT tank.

TerryB
03/26/2007, 11:28 PM
Uless you have very strong eyesight the symptoms may have gone unnoticed. Brooklynella can kill quickly, especially with clowfish that have recently been moved or stressed. Most common in wild caught clownfish.

Terry B

pv1191
03/27/2007, 01:43 PM
TerryB,

Yes that is what I have been reading. Again it is my fault for not QTing. It will not happen again. I got my QT tank up last night. I'll monitor it for a week or so then look for some more stock

petoonia
03/28/2007, 12:40 PM
They could have also had interrnal parasites. Especially if they were wild caught.

pv1191
03/28/2007, 08:02 PM
I haven't been able to check the thread for a bit, but, one made it. I thought he was dying when I left for work that day but he was hiding. He came out the next day and I gave him a freshwater dip then put him in the QT tank for treatment. He's eating and seems to be doing much better.

petoonia
03/28/2007, 08:05 PM
Glad to hear that!!!

Chad Vossen
03/29/2007, 08:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9591055#post9591055 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by petoonia
They could have also had interrnal parasites. Especially if they were wild caught.

i got a small clownfish that aparently came from ora which ended up with internal parasites. any captive breed fish kept with wild caught fish should be treated as wildcaught fish

pv1191
03/29/2007, 09:09 PM
So far the one is doing fine. Improving every day

pv1191
03/29/2007, 09:11 PM
Oh by the way my 90g build will be on the way. Tank is here and I have consulted a friend for some advise. He sai if it was his 90g he would have closed loop system. So engineering 101 here I come!

pv1191
04/07/2007, 09:18 PM
Just an update. The one perc is doing fine and will be dropped iton the main system in a few dasy as long as averything is OK. QT is a wonderful thing. He is eating and doing great

sophia101
04/08/2007, 10:58 AM
Wow, I am very happy to hear that! Be sure he is perfectly ok to put back into the main tank :) Good Luck & keep us updated...