PDA

View Full Version : Do you think you can use an eheim 1260 as a 'powerhead' for use on a wavemaker?

MikeD
03/26/2007, 05:41 PM
Or is this too big of a pump to take the on off cycles?

MikeD
03/26/2007, 09:25 PM
From what I hear, Eheims are pretty durable? But for this app, can it be done? I'm trying to avoid the closed loop.

Bri Guy
03/26/2007, 11:33 PM
I don't see why not, mine starts on a dime, would be bulky in the tank though IMO

Maybe only have it half in the water, the input side and have the return still underwater, the back half could be out of sight. So long as its not sucking air, shouldn't be a problem.

MikeD
03/27/2007, 06:21 AM
Thanks, the thing is, I'm thinking of getting a 'movement kit' for an elos tank and it has two eheim 1260s in there to push water (Sort of like a mini closed loop). And I was thinking of hooking them up to a wavemaker (my reefkeeper 2) to create some random water movment. This way, I keep my tank super tidy w/o wires etc coming out. I'm going for a zen - like reef setup. So far in the planning, the only thing I will have is one vortech pump. But again, with that, no wires coming out of the tank as it magnetically does its thing.