PDA

View Full Version : fragging bottle brush SPS

anjhof
03/26/2007, 07:48 PM
I have heard that if you try to cut a piece off a BOTTLEBRUSH SPS that the frag will not survive. What are your experiences?

Sparkss
03/26/2007, 08:14 PM
I Would say 85% of the posts and pictures in this forum are of corals grown from frags of SPS corals. So I would say that the experiences in general are pretty positive.

Who told you that you could not frag SPS ?

anjhof
03/26/2007, 08:24 PM
I was told by a person at a LFS. I purchased two frags anyways. About 2 weeks later, one RTN'd on my in 2 days - I think it is 100% gone. The other one - it's hard to tell because it was a light blue to begin with, but I don't think it is dead. This is the only SPS coral I have lost in nearly 2 years of keeping them. Everything else is doing fine, so I am wondering if there was some truth to what the LFS said.

BLKTANG
03/26/2007, 08:32 PM
90% of the sps colonies in my tank came from fello reefers who cut me frags from their tank.My problem is keeping wild colonies.

anjhof
03/26/2007, 08:36 PM
I am asking if there is anything special about fragging bottlebrush SPS. I have many different types of SPS - all of them came from frags. Again, this question is about bottlebrush only. Please keep the responses coming. Thanks!

JRod
03/26/2007, 09:07 PM
Here is how I frag my bottlebrush:

1) Grab pliers
2) Enter Tank
3) Snap piece
4) Get a piece of rubble
5) Add drop of glue
6) Stick frag on
7) Trade it or sell it

I fragged my blue bottle brush about 5 times this past month and have not had a single one RTN or STN on me at all. The person I got if from does the same thing and never had issue.

Sometimes there are corals some people cannot keep. As to why this happens, who knows, but ask around and people will say they have their problem corals. Mine are Zoas.

Watch LFS. As in politics, they don't always know what they are talking about. Good luck.

Joe