PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with 1-inch acrylic?!

bbrantley
03/26/2007, 11:18 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to get flow in my new tank. It has one-inch acrylic all the way around. I can use Tunze powerheads, but then I have to fiddle with their finnicky, sketchy bracket mounts. They also make a magnetic mount, but it was designed for 3/4". I've tried it and it's indeed not very strong... but it might work. Sketchy again.

The Vortechs are only for 3/4". They claim they'll make a 1", but so far they're tracking late on all of their other, higher-priority engineering projects. I'm wary of waiting for vaporware.

My tank's not drilled for a closed loop and I'd like to avoid one.

Am I just out of options? Anyone solved this any other way?

Ben

BeanAnimal
03/26/2007, 11:56 PM
WHy avoid closed loops? They keep the ugly powerheads out of the tank. They are VERY efficient and very easy to install on acryic tanks.

I am sure you could use large rare earth magnets and build a suitable mount.

bbrantley
03/27/2007, 12:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9579202#post9579202 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
WHy avoid closed loops? They keep the ugly powerheads out of the tank. They are VERY efficient and very easy to install on acryic tanks.

I am sure you could use large rare earth magnets and build a suitable mount.

The biggest reason is my fear of the unknown. They are hard to change if I "mess up". I have to commit to a specific rock structure to properly position them. I just don't know how I want to aquascape, and sticking with portable powerheads increases my design agility.

I'm not so sure about the efficiency, either. The fan-in-tank model is just intrinsically so advantageous. Gal/W/time is much higher on the modern powerheads, isn't it? Also, I assume the ability to create wider swaths of flow has got to be better, or at least different, with a fan and enclosure design.

I do agree they're ugly.

Beefy external magnets would probably work, yeah. I'll have to find someone to dip them for me, but I guess that's a thought... hmm.

Thanks for chiming in!

Ben

BeanAnimal
03/27/2007, 06:18 AM
Ohh I did not mean to propose that they were more efficient than power heads... They are just efficient compared to large return pumps and other wave makers. I just can not get over the ugly factor :) I am a big fan of Oceans Motions for random flow. You lose a bit due to head loss and friction, but NOTHING like a SCWD or similar device.

You could countersink the magnets into PVC or ACRYLIC sheet and fabricate your own mounts. It should be fairly trivial. NYLON screws or epoxy could be used to mount hte PH to the magnetic boss.