PDA

View Full Version : Algae ID - Camera MIA

Ovuel
03/27/2007, 12:45 AM
I know this is tough without a camera, but I will do my best to describe it and if I can't be helped I understand.

20Gal long set up a month and a half ago. Used 10lbs fully cured LR, 12 lbs dead base rock (I was told on RC this was safe to add and would only cause a mini cycle) 20lbs LS.

Params:
SG 1.023
Temp 81F (Steady)
Ph - 8.0
Amonia - .5mg/l
Nitrites .5mg/l
Nitrates - 10

Tank stock - 2 True Percs ( 2 1/2" and 1 1/2" respectively), 2 pepperment shrimp, 6 Atl Turbo, 4 Nassarius. The tank also had one Scooter Dragonet which died 2 days before this algae outbreak when my backup heater failed on and sent my tank to 91F.

Algae Description:
Day one of the algae outbreak I noticed small brown spots begin popping up on my base rock and sand bed with tons of tiny air bubbles everywhere. In three days time I now have brown hair-like algae blooming from my rocks and sandbed. So far I have noticed my Nassarius snails going to town on this stuff, but ID and long term solution are my goal.

I know that I have my BR and LR seperated on 2 opposite sides of the tank. On the side with the LR there isn't any algae at all. This could be caused by a couple of things. My clowns host the tempt thermometer that sticks to the outside of the tank on the LR side. My powerhead is on that side. My clowns kick up the sand from the sandbed on that side. The LR is somehow repelling this algae. Please note that I have began to get some on the glass on the BR side as well.

A week ago I added a 130W PC, the photoperiod for the tank is anywhere from 10-12hrs per day. I'm not sure I have anymore information at this time to give, but will do my best to answer any questions while may aid in a resolution.

Thanks,

Rob