PDA

View Full Version : Storing Mixed Saltwater?

rfdoc
03/27/2007, 10:18 AM
I plan to mix synthetic saltwater and then store it for a week before I use it in my tank. Is it ok to store this in a jug with a cap on it (such as a milk jug) or does it need to be exposed to air such as in a large bucket or trashcan for gas exchange to occur? Probably a stupid question but I haven't seen any advice about this other than people mixing saltwater in trash cans.

I am a giraffe
03/27/2007, 10:20 AM
After you mix it you can store it forever in a brute trash can with the lid closed. While mixing however, you'll want to leave the lid open.

coast2coast7390
03/27/2007, 10:22 AM
as long as it has a lid so that nothing can get in

rfdoc
03/27/2007, 10:24 AM
Oh ok good, so it is suppose to have a lid on it? I wasn't sure if this would hurt the water or not, or defeat the purpose of having it age before putting it in the tank. I have a 5 gallon jug I want to keep it in and close the lid on it. Thanks for the replies!

I am a giraffe
03/27/2007, 10:26 AM
Make sure it's a food safe container. It doesn't have to be a brute trash can; there are food safe rubbermaid containers that may be a better fit.

rfdoc
03/27/2007, 10:27 AM
It's a jug I purchased natural seawater in from the LFS, figured it would be good to reuse.

WaterKeeper
03/27/2007, 10:28 AM
With newly made SW there is no gas exchange needed after mixing as it is biologically inactive, at least I hope ;). Keeping it covered avoids evaporation that can change the salinity as well as keeping it free of dust, pet hair and canary poop. When using a trash pail it will not protect it from a drunken party guests who thinks it really is a trash can. :D

Slphappy
03/27/2007, 10:43 AM
Just don't use a milk jug... I read that you shouldn't store drinking water in milk jugs. There will always be milk residue left in the jug even after a good washing, and the same bacteria that causes milk to sour will be in whatever you store in the jug.

Wheather or not this is harmful to your reef I couldn't tell ya'. But I'm not so sure I would want to take the chance. Just thought I would pass this on... Todd

OldSchoolNewbie
03/27/2007, 11:08 AM
For SW containers, I have always scouted the local grocery store. They will almost always have 5 and 6 g buckets that were used for bulk food items, just laying out back for the taking. If you have any reservations ask the store manager for a couple. Oh, and besure to give them a good wash down w/vinegar and water.