PDA

View Full Version : i removed bio-balls-but now theres another small problem-??

lmh11706
03/27/2007, 02:57 PM
i removed the bio balls from their chamber but i left the filter pad in on top and down below-i dont mind changing the pads and i like the junk it traps.-but now i have the water dripping down thru the chamber and causing some turbulence where the pump is so im getting a very small but noticeable amount of micro-bubbles being pumped in-should i put a layer a bio-balls back in to the break the fall or is there something else i can use?i cant use live rock because its not submerged

cdangel0
03/27/2007, 03:08 PM
Put a sponge (reef safe of course) in between where the water falls and where the return pump sits. If the water is forces through the sponge all micro-bubbles will disappear before it is sent back to the DT.

returnofsid
03/27/2007, 03:19 PM
That's a common problem when using converted wet/dry systems for sumps. I ran into the same problem before building a DIY sump/refugium out of a 29 gallon tank. Either try the sponge thing or a filter sock on the end of your drain line. You might also be able to put a bubble trap baffle in before the return pump.