PDA

View Full Version : acclimating corals

birdbait1
03/27/2007, 05:01 PM
How long should I acclimate Corals and how should I acclimate them??

Capt_Cully
03/27/2007, 05:19 PM
I'd just float them in the bag for 45 min (30-60). Then put them in.

I may get blasted for this, but IME, corals are hardier than fish if your water param's and lighting are good enough.

On a natural reef they are routinely in open air for hours at low tide. But I'd still get them in the tank water after they acclimate to the temp.

tecoral
03/27/2007, 06:51 PM
Im way more cautious I guess. I float for a half hr lights off, then drip acclimate for an hr disposing of the diluted shipping water along the way, then FWE and iodine dips, red bug dips on all stonies also. Tank water rinses between all dips.

funkyman
03/27/2007, 06:56 PM
I've actually started seeing coral sellers disclaiming that if corals they sell are drip acclimated upon receipt, it will nullify the 24 hour (times vary) gaurantee.

It's not good to have corals sit in their own waste any longer than they have to.

cbabcock
03/27/2007, 07:11 PM
I float for 30 minutes then add 1/4 cup per half hour until bag is full.

tecoral
03/27/2007, 07:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9585413#post9585413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by funkyman
I've actually started seeing coral sellers disclaiming that if corals they sell are drip acclimated upon receipt, it will nullify the 24 hour (times vary) gaurantee.

It's not good to have corals sit in their own waste any longer than they have to.

I agree in some cases its better when a coral looks really bad, but Ive always felt that a PH or sg shock from unknowns in the shippers water was worth the risk for normal cases.

woodstock '69
03/27/2007, 07:56 PM
I float the bag for 15 min, add around 1/2 cup every 5 or ten min for an hour and then take the coral out of the bag and put it in the tank. So far so good I think.

FWIW alot of the hobby heavyweights (Robert Fenner, Julian Sprung, Eric Borneman, Steven Pro, Charles Delbeek) say to acclimate the corals.

Michael

Tang Salad
03/27/2007, 08:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9585975#post9585975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woodstock '69

FWIW alot of the hobby heavyweights (Robert Fenner, Julian Sprung, Eric Borneman, Steven Pro, Charles Delbeek) say to acclimate the corals.

Yep, that is true.

btkrausen
03/27/2007, 08:59 PM
I don't acclimate corals anymore, and have had absolutly no losses, except for when I changed my MH bulbs, I lost two larger SPS.

I have put in many large SPS, zoos, and LPS without acclimating and have yet to lose one because of it.

RoGeTa
03/27/2007, 09:41 PM
I just float them and put them in the tank usually. No losses from doing that, but I don't reccomend it. When I have the time, I acclimate everything by adding a cup of water avery 20 minutes or so until full.

Philwd
03/27/2007, 09:48 PM
For SPS I let them slime up before I do my dips and then again before I place in the tank. Helps the corals acclimate.

Steven Pro
03/28/2007, 05:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9585975#post9585975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woodstock '69
FWIW alot of the hobby heavyweights (Robert Fenner, Julian Sprung, Eric Borneman, Steven Pro, Charles Delbeek) say to acclimate the corals. I only float to equalize temperature and then cut the bag open, remove the coral, and place it directly into the quarantine tank.

Frick-n-Frags
03/28/2007, 05:47 AM
to me, temperature is the one thing these animals deal with in real life.

massive instant water chemistry parameter shift isn't

I don't care how cavalier people get with their seemingly indestructable corals, I'm still going to drip acclimate everything over about a 2 hour period, Period! my sump can hold a good 2 dozen little frag bags. I play the "stress" game, as in minimizing it everywhere I possibly can.

this is obviously different for shipped fish, which need to get out of their little sewer pronto but I don't deal in shipping fish

and, of course, if I bought some corals from that guy, I would just toss them in so as not to void the warranty, but I wouldn't be liking it.

woodstock '69
04/08/2007, 07:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9588337#post9588337 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steven Pro
I only float to equalize temperature and then cut the bag open, remove the coral, and place it directly into the quarantine tank.

Sorry! Didn't mean to misrepresent your practices. I used to read wetwebmedia religiously and I thought that was what I remembered. I'll try to be more careful.

Michael

marie
04/08/2007, 08:16 PM
I equalize temperature and then toss them in the tank, never had a problem

DarthBaiter
04/08/2007, 08:36 PM
Another thing to consider about drip acclimating is that when you drip for half an hour with the coral in a bucket out of the main tank, the temp falls in the small amount of water in the bucket very fast. You need to acclimate it back to the display temp, before you put it in.

Steven Pro
04/09/2007, 06:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9678296#post9678296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woodstock '69
Sorry! Didn't mean to misrepresent your practices. I used to read wetwebmedia religiously and I thought that was what I remembered. I'll try to be more careful.

Michael No problem. There are only a few things I drip acclimate, namely shrimp.

Icefire
04/09/2007, 06:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9678855#post9678855 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarthBaiter
Another thing to consider about drip acclimating is that when you drip for half an hour with the coral in a bucket out of the main tank, the temp falls in the small amount of water in the bucket very fast. You need to acclimate it back to the display temp, before you put it in.

For fish I place the bag in my sump and drip, temp stay good.

everl0ng
04/09/2007, 08:04 AM
i float the bag for 15 mins and then i drip acclimate for 1-2 hrs depending on whether i have done a wc recently and then i put them in.

r00onmac
04/09/2007, 08:40 AM
corals i drop in... depending on how busy i am i float the bag first... i havent lost one this way yet, but im not saying that it is fool proof... i think that if you are confident that your water quality is good (possibly better than the store where it has been living) then that will outweigh any stress/possible problems because its now in a clean, healthy environment...

just for sh*ts and giggles, in case anyone cares:
fish i float, and put in cups of water and inverts i float and drip...

amazingbobby
04/09/2007, 09:23 AM
I float the bag and and tank water a few times over about thirty minutes. Never have had a problem. Usually, the coral looks better in my tank after an hour or two than it ever looked at the LFS.

cristhiam
04/09/2007, 09:50 AM
I float them 15 minutes and drop them in.

waterfaller1
04/09/2007, 09:56 AM
I never acclimate new corals, the tanks at work are the same as at home.