PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

01saleen
03/28/2007, 09:43 AM
I just upgraded to a 125 gallon, any suggestions on how i shoud transfer all my rocks, corals, and live stock? I know to use new sand because if i disturd my olds sand i will stir up all my nitrates and that could be fatal, so i would buy all new sand, and transfer all of the water from the old tank, let it run for a couple of hours, then begin the process of setting in all my livestock, is this safe, or does anyone who has done this now any other methods of transfering tanks, also how will my fish and corals react to the new sand? Any help is greatly appreciated..Rob

DJChesnutRabbit
03/28/2007, 10:53 AM
I'm doing the same thing from a 50 to a 110.
I let the tank cycle, which took about a week.
Now I'm moving pieces of rock and coral a couple pieces a day to keep from another cycle. So far it seems to be working fine.
Last thing I'll add is the fish, which again, I'll do a couple and wait a day or so, not to overlaod the tank.

alan214
03/28/2007, 12:30 PM
That should be fairly easy. Put all your corals and fish into coolers or some other temporary storage. You should be able to put all the LR into the new tank, then the sand. Add a cupful of sand from your old substrate to seed the new sand.

Transfer as much of your old water as you can to the new tank and top off with fresh RO/DI saltwater. Give the tank an hour or two to clear the cloudiness from the new sand and then add the corals back. You can add the fish back at this point or wait another couple of hours.

The point is is that this is nothing more than a tank move and most people do these in a single day.