PDA

View Full Version : T-5

DarG
03/28/2007, 10:17 AM
Hi all. Have some questions on T-5 lighting and lighting in general. First off, I recently switched to a T-5 system from a VHO. The wattage is close to the same between the two. I was running 4 48" 110 watt VHO's , 2 10K and two Actinic 420nm.
The T-5 system is a Nova Extreme with 4 Daylight 10K and 4 460nm ,,, they are 48" HO 54 watt lamps.

The questions.

First of all, what is the difference between 460nm and 420nm in terms of whether there is any advantage between the two for Coralline algae growth as well as corals and other forms of life that need the actinic lighting. Is 420nm better than 460nm? Vice Versa? No difference?

Second question ... I have read that the HO T-5's (at 54 watts) will last for 2 years for the whites and 18 months for the actinics. Is this true or how often should HO T-5 lamps be changes based on 10 hours a day?

Finally, depending on what the opinions and facts are regarding my 1st question, I was thinking about running 2 of the 460nm and 2 of the 420nm instead of 4 of the 460nm that I currently have. Any thoughts on tis approach (again, considering what the concensus is on my first question)?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out.