PDA

View Full Version : 46g - 55g Transfer

JDUBBS220
03/28/2007, 05:15 PM
Hey everyone,
First let me say thanks for all of you who have come before me and paved the way, and making it so much easier on the rest of us.
I am doing a small tank upgrade from a 46g bow to a standard 55g long. I have been keeping my reef for a little over three years. Of course there have been ups and downs, but up is going good right now. Anyway, I would love any feedback or questions about my transfer.
My first question is about lighting. Currently I am running two 36" 96w Current Satellites with 50/50 bulbs. Would it be acceptable to use those on a hanging rig for the 55g?
My next questionis about filtration. I am interested in introducing macro algae to the system, and wonder if there is a beneficial difference in doing algae in the sump or in a seperate tank.
I am sure there will be more but that's all for now.

Dubbs220

chemisfun11
03/28/2007, 05:49 PM
You could hang those lights, but you're probably better off selling the old lights and upgrading. Plenty of fixtures in the 48" range. You'd be losing too much light on the sides and probably not get much light penetration down into the water. I'm also guessing you'll have a center brace on the 55 which will block some light too.

Wherever you decide to put macro algae, get some cheato. Grows fast and doesn't go sexual or attach to any rock.

HTH

JDUBBS220
03/30/2007, 10:47 AM
How's T5 setup versus a halide setup. It's strictly a monetary decision, not preference. With respect to the macro, what is the light cycle like compared to the display tank. What type of light should be used. Also, is there a need for substrate with the macro.

Dubbs220

zeusfc
03/30/2007, 11:39 AM
Hi as someone who has always gone the striplight route, I mist say i'm NOT impressed with T5s... I have 50/50 55wt tubes and I reckon the colour is really washed out. sure they're cheaper, but like anything in life, you get what you pay for!