PDA

View Full Version : regarding aeriation

myfrostymember
03/28/2007, 05:43 PM
i have read the high ph articles and they say that aeriation is usually the most likely cause of high ph (other then bad testing methods)-- that being said-- what is the best way to aeriate and how fast should the process be to make sure the ph doesnt change to fast? is a air stone/pump ok? i dont want to swing my ph that fast

i add b ionic 2 part and my alk is about 3.2 calc is 390( trying to get it up) and ph is around 8.55

i wasnt worried about the ph until i got the alk up few days ago the alk was 2.8 and ph was 8.4. i worked on getting my alk and calc up and when my alk went up it shot my ph to over 8.5

im reading this with an electronic ph reader and im recalibrating it today to double check

what is the best liquid test kit to double check my elec meter with?

ideas? thanks matt

bertoni
03/28/2007, 11:17 PM
In many cases, aeration will help with pH problems by bringing the dissolved gasses in tank into equilibrium with the air. Usually, a skimmer does a good job of aeration. More water circulation might help, too. That pH isn't very high, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

I thought the Salifert pH test kit was fine when I was using it.

Boomer
03/28/2007, 11:28 PM
frosty

Yah, you have that aeration thing kinda backwards. Rarely if ever will aeration increase the pH to much in seawater. You only have about 0.25 ppm CO2 in your tank and normal seawater is around 0.5 ppm. You would have to stick an outboard motor for aeration in your tank to get the pH up :D

[b]what is the best liquid test kit to double check my elec meter with?[b/]

Pinpoint. This will explain as to why it is a very good choice.

A Comparison of pH Calibration Buffers
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/rhf/index.htm