PDA

View Full Version : Tunze vs Ecotech Vortech

iamwhatiam52
03/28/2007, 09:31 PM
My 180 has two Seio powerheads, one on each side for flow.
Works fine, but I want to upgrade for more and better distributed flow, adjustable flow and possibly a controller.

Sould I go with Tunze Turbelle Streams or Ecotech Vortechs?

hatfielj
03/29/2007, 09:51 AM
I just got the ecotech vortech for my 120 and I am SO glad I didn't get a big ugly tunze! The flow on this thing is amazing and it looks really good with very minimal space taken up in the tank at all. Plus theres absolutely no heat given off into the tank and no cords or stray electricity. I highly recommend this pump. Plus, they are planning on releasing a controller for these this summer (so I've heard) that will be able to wirelessly control up to 10 vortech pumps at a time and do all the same things a tunze multicontroller does (wave patterns, food timer, night mode, etc) So, yeah, I think you should go with the vortech!

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/29/2007, 09:52 AM
above....I switched from a 6100 on a controller to a vortech and would not go back :)

andyjd
03/29/2007, 10:02 AM
Vortech all the way

gixxer600
03/29/2007, 10:20 AM
I think you can't go wrong with either. I went the Tunze route just because of the flexibility of the multicontroller.

iamwhatiam52
03/29/2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks. Too bad the controller is not out yet. I assume the rate of flow is adjustable without the controller.

USC-fan
03/29/2007, 07:26 PM
i would go with the tunze just because they have a controller already out. The Vortech controller not coming out to end of 2007 and also you have to buy an upgrade for the pumps you just brought.

Jar*Head
03/29/2007, 07:47 PM
The flow rate is adjustable without the controller. You can buy the back up battery just incase of power outage. As far as the wireless controller may be questionable for those who using Eballast, aqua controller unit or anything that use frequencies. I was going to buy the vortech with the back-up battery. But after inspecting the product, i am not happy with the quality. so i decided to buy the generator instead :).

I agree with the statement above regarding the placement of the pump inside the tank. It doesn't look nice with a big black thing hanging inside of the tank. But that big black thing kick some serious butt IMO.

If you have a tank like mine, you don't have to worry about that big black thing on the back wall. I have 6 pieces of tunze running inside of my tank and it is not an eyesore at all (May be i got used to it or i just lies to myself :) ) with 2" of wave i have in the tank, i don't mine if it is bulky. I have 2 wavebox, 2 tunze 6200, 2 tunze 6100 and soon i will add 4 tunze 6055. My personal opinion you can't go wrong with Tunze.... :). It has great customer service, good reputation for years.

BTW, even my return pump is from Tunze :) so..... It is up to you brother man. Pick what you like....... :)

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/29/2007, 09:38 PM
If just for clean look alone I would recc. the vortech, I like the 'clean' look Also, the flow is superioir to a 6100 - ime, as far as total movement of water column.
Tunze are great & i've used 6 different model Tunze's in the past. The multi is nice but i rarely used the functions, such as photo and night mode and etc. because I felt no need to so it was basically the same as two single controllers, which do serve a purpose. Flow is impressive and fuller than seio, koralia, etc.
They use little power and produce little heat.
The vortech controller will be out this summer not the end of the year. And the BB may just save your reef, which may be a tiebreaker if you don't have a generator and live in an area that does get power outages.

As said above both rock, can't go wrong :)
Can't go wrong either way though as said above.

USC-fan
03/29/2007, 10:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9603288#post9603288 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
If just for clean look alone I would recc. the vortech, I like the 'clean' look Also, the flow is superioir to a 6100 - ime, as far as total movement of water column.
Tunze are great & i've used 6 different model Tunze's in the past. The multi is nice but i rarely used the functions, such as photo and night mode and etc. because I felt no need to so it was basically the same as two single controllers, which do serve a purpose. Flow is impressive and fuller than seio, koralia, etc.
They use little power and produce little heat.
The vortech controller will be out this summer not the end of the year. And the BB may just save your reef, which may be a tiebreaker if you don't have a generator and live in an area that does get power outages.

As said above both rock, can't go wrong :)
Can't go wrong either way though as said above. The single controller is coming out in summer. The other one is not coming out till the end of 2007.

1st comes the up-grade to a Wireless Capable Driver and single Driver Controller.

Next comes the release of the Wireless Controller, expected at the end of 2007 which can operate numerous Drivers.

If you did two up-grades to Wirelessly Controllable Drivers you'd have $50.00 in discounts for the Wireless Controller and you'd only need one to control many VorTech Pumps.

Andy

rxinc
03/29/2007, 10:29 PM
I have one Vortech on each end of my 72" 215gal tank and am happy with the look and especially like the incredible flow.

Bitzerj
03/30/2007, 07:47 AM
I have two 6000's and the controller in my 135 reef. Excellent flow. The decision point for me was the ability to angle the heads in the tank. The "flat" mounting of the Vortex wouldn't work for me for a number of reasons, position and the look of the warts on the side of the tank.

I do agree the 6000's could be a bit smaller!

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/30/2007, 08:07 AM
warts? have you actually 'ever' used them?

Jim_S
03/30/2007, 08:20 AM
I went Tunze. They are tried and true. Great support, little to no failure and no one complains about them. The V-techs also only mount facing one direction AFAIK. Not too convienient IMO.

IMO, the vortechs are the future though. I'll just wait until then to buy a set....

Jim

Dholmblad
03/30/2007, 08:30 AM
Wish I could afford either.. I would go with the Ecotech Vortechs, although tuzine is proven quality

PrangeWay
03/30/2007, 08:31 AM
Yeah I love my tunzes on the multi, really nice. I've used all the features, I also vary the modes every few days for kicks. The biggest reason I chose them over vortecs was the aimability of the Tunzes, Tunzes proven reputation and service, and Vortecs lack of a controller.

The Vortec battery backup never sold me on it, as I just bought a computer UPS for like 70 bucks that'll power my Tunzes for 14hrs or so.

PW

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/30/2007, 08:42 AM
It seems that everyone stating the ability to point the tunze as a big factor over the vortech....my guess is 'not one' of these people have actually used a vortech for an extended period. Their flow is much fuller and broader than a 6100, that is why the ability to point or angle them is not a detriment. not to mention, can you put a tunze on the bottom pane and totally hide with just a rock or two:)
I wish people would refrain from saying this or that if they have 'never' used one or the other(I admit I've done this in the past, but havew learned better).....how are you supposed to really help if you only 'know' half the choices.

-jmo

humbugy
03/30/2007, 10:45 AM
i have both, use both, and i like both.
pick whatever fits your budget, cant go wrong.

ObscurityKnocks
03/30/2007, 10:56 AM
I have both and don't see the ability to point them as that big of a deal either.

The only thing I don't like about the vortech compared to the Tunze is they are a pain to install without them making noise. You need to lineup the magnet and the prop perfectly or they vibrate like crazy. But once you get it set it's not a problem.

Personally I'd get the vortechs if I was starting a new tank. They are much easier to clean, less moving parts subjected to calcium deposits, etc..

Jar*Head
03/30/2007, 11:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9606801#post9606801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ObscurityKnocks

Personally I'd get the vortechs if I was starting a new tank. They are much easier to clean, less moving parts subjected to calcium deposits, etc..

I assumed you have the older version of tunze. The new tunze impeller is one piece and very easy to clean.

rickyb
03/30/2007, 12:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9606713#post9606713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by humbugy
i have both, use both, and i like both.
pick whatever fits your budget, cant go wrong.

LMAO :)

Quick question, can the vortec magnet (or drive or whatever is called be inside the tank? meaning under water...

Waxxiemann
03/30/2007, 01:39 PM
I have a vortech in my 90 running full out all day long. The flow is great and it hasn't caused me one problem. It came out of alignment once but it was no big deal to just readjust it.

That said, I am switching to 2x 6100's and multi controller. Reason being is that I am looking at upgrading to a much larger tank eventually and I plan on using 6x 6100's.

6 vortechs would probably work out as well but the tried and true reputation of the tunzes made me want to change. Plus they have a controller already out that works awesome and you can aim them ...

That was totally a personal thing though, the Vortech is an awesome product and I agree with the poster who said that both are a good choice.

Waxx

ObscurityKnocks
03/30/2007, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9607342#post9607342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rickyb
LMAO :)

Quick question, can the vortec magnet (or drive or whatever is called be inside the tank? meaning under water...

No

ObscurityKnocks
03/30/2007, 02:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9607007#post9607007 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEFER714
I assumed you have the older version of tunze. The new tunze impeller is one piece and very easy to clean.

You are correct, I do have the old version. I wonder how the thing works without the break shoes. I though that is how they got the impeller to spin in only one direction.

PrangeWay
03/30/2007, 03:07 PM
I wonder how the thing works without the break shoes

The brakes shoes are for the non-controlled ac versions 6060, 80, etc. They just standardized their assembly for the older versions. The controllable versions are DC and only spin one way.

PW

Bitzerj
03/30/2007, 03:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9605533#post9605533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
warts? have you actually 'ever' used them?

Yep, I saw them. I didn't want the driver on the outside of the glass sticking out. The unit and the wire would really be in the way in my setup. Not a knock in the units, it simply wouldn't work in my case.

iamwhatiam52
03/30/2007, 09:55 PM
WOW!
Never expected so much information.
Now I'm REALLY confused.
Seriusly, thank you all very much. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way. The clean look is a big plus for me, but the decision may come down to whether or not I want to wait for the controller.

Double-J
03/30/2007, 10:04 PM
Had a coupld of vortechs... Great flow but the pumps always seemed to have a problem, granted recieved the first batch and since then they have made them more reliable so I hear

Anyways I'll be using Tunzes from here on out.

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/30/2007, 10:10 PM
Vortechs are extremely reliable now and are backed by just as good CS as tunze(which is as good as it gets in this hobby). I'd venture to guess that the major majority of products have issues in the beginning. Both are great products.

brianbigoats
03/30/2007, 11:29 PM
i have both in my 90 along w/ 2 seio's the vortech was just add last week the flow is great i have it on the back wall so i dont have to see the dry side an cord. the vortech has much more flow than any other of my PH's coral seem to love the incresed flow one reason that i got it was the available battery back up
but i like both

ghostrida3
04/01/2007, 04:36 PM
how do u keep stuff like anemones and other critters getting sucked into either one?

chaffey
04/01/2007, 09:28 PM
tunze all ther way.

Freds
04/02/2007, 07:49 AM
I have one of each in my 90 and I like it that way!

The vortech is smaller and will stay on (via the battery backup) if the power goes out. It's flow is also much wider than the tunze. It is however MUCH louder than the tunze and cannot be aimed like my Tunze can.

The tunze does not take up much room and if you use the brackets instead of the magnet you can really mount them out of the way and in a corner. IMO it's the magnet mounts that make tunze stick out in a tank. Mine is not very noticeable at all. It's silent even when pushing 3,000 GPH, I have a controller for it and I can aim it.

iamwhatiam52
04/02/2007, 04:02 PM
This is the first anyone has mentioned the Vortech being loud.
Have others found thid to be the case?

orientalexpress
04/02/2007, 05:09 PM
tunze all the way.my friend have vortec on his 380,it's great when is working,but reliability is the main concern.gl

hogben
04/02/2007, 05:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9630337#post9630337 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iamwhatiam52
This is the first anyone has mentioned the Vortech being loud.
Have others found thid to be the case?

An improper installation can lead to a louder vortech. But even an optimal install when its turned up on high the base does have a low wirring sound and there is no water to muffle the sound.

Maybe newer units are quieter?

iamwhatiam52
04/02/2007, 06:24 PM
An obvious question I should have asked, but can a tunze controller run either type of powerhead?

iamwhatiam52
04/02/2007, 07:01 PM
An obvious question I should have asked, but can a tunze controller run either type of powerhead?

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/02/2007, 07:06 PM
Mine is not loud at all and has never had one glich....i believe the reliability is very good post-first batch. I believe like any new pioneering product Ecotech had to go through some real world testing to get feed back and make adjustments.

Either are great, depends what you are looking for in your set-up.

drives300
04/02/2007, 07:57 PM
i am interested in the vortech and i was wondering if someone can explain how the inability to aim the powerhead does not cause problems. I keep my mj mods pointed accross the tank because I get the best polyp movement that way. If I aimed the strait at the front glass it would cause my sand to blow all over the place. Does the flow come out horizontally. Please explain further

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/02/2007, 08:02 PM
Their flow is not nearly as concentrated as a mjmod.
Now, if you put any p.h. that pushes 3000gph+ on the back wall of an aquarium that is 24" or less you will have a barebottom front with a deep dsb in the back 75% :)

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/02/2007, 08:06 PM
I did see hahnmeister mention you could put a 6200 shroud on a 6000/6100 which would broaden it's flow...just don't know how, like if it just pops on or if a mod is needed.

verper
04/02/2007, 09:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9632400#post9632400 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
I did see hahnmeister mention you could put a 6200 shroud on a 6000/6100 which would broaden it's flow...just don't know how, like if it just pops on or if a mod is needed.

No mod needed, just the 6200 shroud. Goes on the Stream motor the same way a maxijet shroud mounts. Just has a larger exit opening in the shroud.

hatfielj
04/03/2007, 06:54 AM
My vortech is not loud at all, I'm guessing if someone's having trouble with noise, they probably didn't install it 100% correctly. I found the installation to be really quick and easy. It took me all of about 5 minutes to get it on the glass and lined up and now its turned up all the way with out any noise issues at all. There is a slightly 'wirring' noise as said above, but hardly noticeable IMO. The inability to aim is absolutely no disadvantage at all, at least in my tank. It has a very wide area that it covers and I can see any reason to point it anywhere but straight ahead. I plan on getting another one when the controller comes out, I love this pump!

sditch
04/03/2007, 08:48 AM
I just got a Vortech and man I could not be happier to spend that kind of cash for water current. I have it in my TechTank 120G and it is perfect, with the rockscape and position of the vortech there is no dead spots. The with of the current is amazing and creates a nice ripper (almost a little wave) on the top of the water with a great under toe current at the bottom :)

jacmyoung
04/21/2007, 09:57 PM
I like to add the Tunze Nanostream 6055 in the mix and let me explain.

Based on the simple mods we did on 6025s and 6045s, we know that the same mod will increase the 6055 flow by 38%, meaning max flow of 2,000gph for a 6055.

While this is still not as much as the Vortech or 6100, it is certainly in the competition. The 6055 has all the benefits of the large stream pumps yet small enough to hide away behind rocks, and cost much less.

The only problem with the 6055 now is availability. Expect it's wide appearance in June or July.

casparis
05/01/2007, 05:42 PM
I am building a new 125 gallon system to incorperate my 40 gallon reef tank and 70 fish and live rock tank.I did all kinds of research and talked to every local fish so called expert in my area.Believe me Tunze are great but you can rest assured they are scrambling to design a system to compete with the new generation of powerheads such as vortech.Clearly a better way to run our tanks,Everyone discounts the heat Thats B.S. all those pumps heat your water 1 degree were all smarter than that.You think it is a minus you can't aim the powerhead but the flow is tremdous if your rock is placed in a pattern you can eliminate dead flow. Do your homework this is possiable,You can run at most two and give enough flow for any tank below 8' in length and 4' wide.I have done the math and the research.As for the battery back up you think Tunze isnt talking to the RD of their CO. to find out why they never handled that issue?Well because to run a comperable pump in a tunze for 48 hrs would require a diesel battery and charger.Tunze are great just not the future as we will see when the new Tunze line comes out a copy of Vortech and years behind.Pick what you like no arguement my money was well spent and you really cant go wrong they both,They are the finest in the field.
Scott

jacmyoung
05/01/2007, 06:03 PM
Have you seen Tunze Nanostream pumps yet? I have just got one of the first 6055s and was able to demonstrate that it is capable of pumping 2500 gph with a DIY large shroud and a 6100 propeller, and drawing 26W. Why would that be more difficult to use with a battery backup than Vortech?

While the 6055 itself may not be the one, but they can easily release a pump the same footprint of a Nanostream and pump out 3000 gph.

No doubt Vortech is a brilliant pump, just don't think it is the only way to go. Adjustability of the Nanostream means you don't have to have a piece sticking out from the side of the tank. The pump can always be installed at the back wall with flow aimed at any angle you want.

Of course whether Tunze will want to compete in these large flow pump area is anyone's guess because it will cut into their Stream pumps market.

radone
05/01/2007, 06:49 PM
I'm considering the 6055 for my 210, my only problem is flow the length of the tank. If I went with 4 of them in each corner think that would work.

Man you got some kahuna's tearing into that brand new pump. Are you even worried about it failing and not being under warranty?

BTW Love your help on that those mods I believe I will do them if I go that route.

As for the Vortechs I think they are nice but the price is up there and all the other add-ins you'll need to be satisfied, it all adds up and for some people with smaller budgets you can only get what the wife will allow :lol:

Good thread hope we're not off course though:D

hatfielj
05/01/2007, 07:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9856377#post9856377 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by radone
I'm considering the 6055 for my 210, my only problem is flow the length of the tank. If I went with 4 of them in each corner think that would work.

Man you got some kahuna's tearing into that brand new pump. Are you even worried about it failing and not being under warranty?

BTW Love your help on that those mods I believe I will do them if I go that route.

As for the Vortechs I think they are nice but the price is up there and all the other add-ins you'll need to be satisfied, it all adds up and for some people with smaller budgets you can only get what the wife will allow :lol:

Good thread hope we're not off course though:D

I would still go for the vortechs if I were you. If you buy 4 6055's thats $800 for approximately 5600gph of flow (1400gph each). HOwever, if you get just two vortechs thats 6200 gph for only $690 ($345 each). If you ask me the 6055s are a waste of money on a tank that large. They were designed for much smaller tanks and the flow they produce will not be very impressive on a tank that size. Just my 2 cents, good luck deciding.

jacmyoung
05/01/2007, 09:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9856509#post9856509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hatfielj
I would still go for the vortechs if I were you. If you buy 4 6055's thats $800 for approximately 5600gph of flow (1400gph each). HOwever, if you get just two vortechs thats 6200 gph for only $690 ($345 each). If you ask me the 6055s are a waste of money on a tank that large. They were designed for much smaller tanks and the flow they produce will not be very impressive on a tank that size. Just my 2 cents, good luck deciding.

Which is why I said the ball is entirely in Tunze's court. If they want to come out and swing they can. They already have the 6055, all they have to do is add a bigger prop/driver and maybe a more powerful transformer (not even necessary IMO), much like upgrading from a 6000 to a 6100 by switching the transformer only. They may need to give a bigger nozzle. And a Nanostream with 3,000 gph will be available to you. Of course the cost will be more but I think they can easily keep it below $250 if they really want the market share.

All wishful thinking of course, but the 6055 is reality and it pumps out 1800gph after some simple mods, near 2000gph with some more fancy mods. For those who don't mind some DIY effort it is a serious contender among the large stream pumps for sure.

jnarowe
05/01/2007, 10:49 PM
So since I have had the most problems out of any Vortech customer I guess I should chime in here.

Advantages of Vortech over CL:

1. Ability to move pump to various locations;
2. Very low watt/gph; (low operating cost)
3. very low to zero heat passed to the water column;
4. ability to run on Backup Battery;
5. Easily cleaned;
6. extremely wide and pulsating flow;
7. no possibility of leaks;
8. Controllable.

Advanteages over Tunze:
1. no wires in tank;
2. smaller pump profile;
3. no heat transfer;
4. wider flow;
5. Battery backup;
6. Future: wireless controller for up to 8 units.

General Advantages:
1. Advanced electronic pump management: These pumps monitor themselves and shut down for over-temp., prop obstructions, and ejection. They are also infinitely adjustable.

Disadvantages:
1. Can't be aimed in a particular direction;
2. In certain installs wires on the outside would be undesireable;
3. Sometimes alignment can be an issue, but with the latest versions that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

My issues:

1. Tremendous rattling: Magnets were weak and replaced, bearings changed out, washers installed. I wanted to poke my eyes out.

2. Cord keepers wouldn't stay stuck to the acrylic: I drilled small holes in my euro-bracing and zip tied the cords in place.

3. Inability to run on a controller: I use a Neptune ACIII Pro and was first told no less than 1 minute cycles, then 5 minute cycles, then 10 minutes, then 20 minutes. Due to an issue with the firmware, the drivers were getting toasted by the ON/OFF cycles. I lost a total of five drivers. All were replaced by Eco-Tech. I lost at least one power supply, also replaced. All of my current drivers have been upgraded to the latest configuration and they are all running very well, with no appreciable noise.

4. Extreme over-heating: All of my Vortechs have been running close to and over maximum spec. and will slow themselves down to cool off. I am talking about the case being at 140F and above. This has damaged my acrylic by crazing it where the Vortechs are installed. I currently run them at about 70 - 75% to keep them from over-heating and have been told that the 75 - 80F ambient temp. of my tank room is to blame. I am not sure I buy that, to be honest. That's a killer because there isn't really a solution other than consuming more power, which would negate a key reason why I bought the Vortechs over a CL.

I have 4 Vortechs on my 1000g tank with one spare...I have NEVER seen a pump of any kind put out this kind of flow. It oscilates so that the coral polyps sway back and forth. I have two installed on each end of my 8' long tank and there is flow to spare even in the center of the tank. As the reef grows, I will probably add the 5th pump, as well as two more to the back panel of the tank.

I also have two of the Battery Backup units and they work fine. They are below expectation though in that there is no way to tell how much battery life there is, or any other parameters like in a modern PC backup battery. For me, I could have used PC BB units and put them inline, but then that would not allow the pumps to be remotely controlled. As it is now, the pumps on the Backups cannot be controlled by the ACIII Pro since that simply would turn them on and off, but then the backup would kick in and they would run at 50%. So the only way to actually control Vortech pumps is with their proprietary controller...it's just money right??

If I missed any of my issues (memory is bad) please feel free to ad them onto the list!

radone
05/02/2007, 04:26 PM
That put things in perspective, thanks for laying that out like that it sure does help.
Glad to hear your problems with them are finally clearing up, I'm sure that is frustrating especially since you invested a good deal of dough.

I myself think the Vortechs are pretty sweet, but not owning any yet, can't compare.
My big delema is where my rock work is right down the middle, the tank is set up for veiwing on three sides so this poses problems as well, besides this I've got an external overflow which is 12" long on the end so whatever I put at the overflow end I would really need two of to cover both sides of the rock work. With the vortechs that low down on a 29" tall tank I'm guessing I would have a sandstorm. If this would work I would be happy because on the veiwable end I don't think the Vortech would be an eyesore unlike a big stream dangling down.

Any suggestions for a layout?

I'm still surprised the DIY group here hasn't done a controller for the vortechs

jnarowe
05/02/2007, 04:43 PM
radone: I guess the main question is whether or not you would be OK with the motor on a viewing pane. I personally would not and if I had a tank viewable on theree sides, I would probably go with a remote Sequence CL or drop in Tunze.

I would lean toward the CL just because they are easier to hide, but I have heard good things about the Tunze rocks too. That may be the best solution if you don't want a CL.

As far as using Vortechs on that tank, I wouldn't worry too much about where the rockwork is. The Vortechs will fill that tank with flow. You could also consider just putting 2 or 3 on the back pane, if you have the room to do so. Although tough to hide, they will rock that tank for sure. And in that case, I would make sure there is proper airflow around the motors so that they don't heat up too much. HTH!

radone
05/02/2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info
I thought about only having two of them one on each side pointing the length of the tank.

I don't think putting a CL in is a doable thing as the wife would freak knowing we have to tear it apart again to drill. That and I would probably be getting divorced if you know what I mean :lol:

As for putting one on the veiwable end I'm not to hot with the idea but I think it would be livable, unfortunately I spend most of my time at that end.

As for the controller any news what the cost is going to be?
Haven't seen a peep about anyone asking.
BB are not on my list of needs as I have a generator for those situations.

Thanks again Jonathan :D

jnarowe
05/02/2007, 06:04 PM
No sweat. Check out the Tunze rocks then. That could solve your viewing pane issue. If you have a light cabinet over the tank, sea swirls work extremely well too. I have seen a lot of tanks with those and they are very impressive.

As far as the Vortechs go, make sure before you buy that you have a way to fasten the cord above the pump. If you cannot do that, I wouldn't recommend them. The cord keepers they have stick well for a while, but if your tank is acrylic, they will fall off eventually. Acrylic is not a great surface for adhering to.

I have no news on the Vortech controller. In fact the Vortech threads have been silent lately. The BB they have is not too expensive to use as a secondary measure. I will be installing a whole house genset, and have one dedicated to the tank already, but I still see value in redundancy. Especially in our area that loses power fairly often. I had a power outage the other day and the tank didn't miss a beat. :)

James77
05/02/2007, 08:34 PM
I read on several posts that the noise vortechs make are a slight whirring sound. Is it/are they audible throughout the room, or can you only hear them a short distance from them? Is the noise the actual motor itself, or it vibrating on the glass(the glass amplifying it)?

James77
05/02/2007, 08:34 PM
DP

jnarowe
05/02/2007, 09:15 PM
For me it was vibration/rattling on the glass which I could hear from the viewing room. That is not happening anymore. Since my install is in a tank room with some noisy equipment, I do not here the motor side at all.

jacmyoung
05/02/2007, 09:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9863693#post9863693 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
No sweat. Check out the Tunze rocks then. That could solve your viewing pane issue. ...

How does Tunze rock work? I thought it only works if the pump is on the back wall?

jnarowe
05/02/2007, 09:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9865264#post9865264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jacmyoung
How does Tunze rock work? I thought it only works if the pump is on the back wall?

You're gonna get thrown out of the TunzeBot Society making posts like that! :lol:

AFAICT there is no mention of needing to be in any particular place.

Well I can't get the link to work. It's under in Turbelle Stream part of the Tunze site.

jacmyoung
05/02/2007, 10:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9865308#post9865308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
You're gonna get thrown out of the TunzeBot Society making posts like that! :lol:

AFAICT there is no mention of needing to be in any particular place.

Well I can't get the link to work. It's under in Turbelle Stream part of the Tunze site.

Alright I deserve that I guess.

The Tunze rock just attaches to the magnet holder and is suspended along with the pump if I remember correctly.

hatfielj
05/02/2007, 10:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9864872#post9864872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by James77
I read on several posts that the noise vortechs make are a slight whirring sound. Is it/are they audible throughout the room, or can you only hear them a short distance from them? Is the noise the actual motor itself, or it vibrating on the glass(the glass amplifying it)?

There is a slight whirring noise that you can here when you are close to the tank, but not something that is at all an issue in a quiet room such as a living room where my tank is. The return to the sump is MUCH louder than the whirring noise from the vortech, so honestly I don't notice it at all unless I'm thinking about it. I don't think having one on your viewing pane would be that big of a deal at all. A tunze anywhere in the tank (even a rock) IMO would be much more noticeable than a vortech on the glass. For the amount of flow they produce they are incredibly unobstructive as far as viewing pleasure goes. I highly reccomend vortech over tunze by all means. This is not at all a biased opinion either. I very seriously considered tunze when setting up my tank (in fact I even ordered one and later cancelled it) and since getting the vortech and seeing tunze's on other peoples tanks in person I am SO glad I didn't get any of those huge ugly pumps.

DarthBaiter
05/02/2007, 11:17 PM
I almost bought two Vortechs for each sides of my 90g till my wife pointed out that they would look like the tank had ears. After that I just couldn't get the image of my tank with two black ears out of my head.
I think I'm gonna regret it when the controllers come out though.

EcoTech Marine
05/03/2007, 07:03 AM
Just some food for thought...

From a normal viewing angle in front of a 4' long aquarium, you will not actually be able to see the pumps sticking off the side of the aquarium, as the length of the front pane will block your view. Go ahead and try it, you'll understand what I mean.

-Tim

jnarowe
05/03/2007, 07:33 AM
That's a really good point Tim, as far as viewing from the front of the tank goes. I considered for quite some time doing an in-viewing room install, and the plan was to have 3 or 4 sides for viewing. In that case I would not have opted for the Vortech, but the Vortech was key in my decision not to do it that way. My other choice would have been an array of Sequence pumps for CLs, but I felt that would be inefficient.

I waited quite a while to get the Vortechs (after designing my system around them) but felt that their design would be good long-term for my reef. I really like the idea of not have all those holes drilled in my tank!

jacmyoung: Doesn't make much sense to have them attached to the tank wall. I don't think that is how they are used.

Waxxiemann
05/03/2007, 07:58 AM
You guys know that you can just go to Radio Shack or the like and buy a PC battery backup (APS for example) and it's exactly the same thing as the battery backup you can get for the Vortech right?

I run my Tunze 6100 on an APC and it works great. I think the battery backup for the vortech is overrated.

jnarowe
05/03/2007, 08:09 AM
I don't think the Vortech BB is "rated".

EcoTech Marine
05/03/2007, 08:14 AM
Waxxiemann-

That's simply not true. A normal UPS costing $150 will not run any pump for 30 hours. Our VorTech and BB system is 'smart' and maximizes the run time of the pump for when you need it most- a power outage.

-Tim

Waxxiemann
05/03/2007, 08:22 AM
My bad, I didn't mean to bring down the heat :furious: :wildone:

Maybe I should rephrase that; the apc backup I got for my tunze system does the job servicably. I can get about 10 hours on it. Nowhere near 30.

Appologies.

DarthBaiter
05/03/2007, 08:25 AM
I guess that's true about the viewing angle, if you are viewing the tank right from the middle, close up, but my sofas are a good 7' from the tank and I could see my mag floats, if I leave em on the side. Oh well...

When I build my in wall system...VorTechs all the way, and by that time, the controllers should be out.

EcoTech Marine
05/03/2007, 08:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9867483#post9867483 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Waxxiemann
My bad, I didn't mean to bring down the heat :furious: :wildone:

Maybe I should rephrase that; the apc backup I got for my tunze system does the job servicably. I can get about 10 hours on it. Nowhere near 30.

Appologies.

No worries! Just trying to get the truth out there :rollface:

-Tim

jamesdawson
05/03/2007, 02:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9865264#post9865264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jacmyoung

The Tunze Rock is simply a ceramic rock with an opening for the Stream's nozzle to fit in. You can put it anywhere you want to in your tank although most users put them on top of their rock-work so the Stream points where they want it to.

James

jacmyoung
05/03/2007, 02:54 PM
Then no need of magnet holders anymore? If it is just like any other large piece of rock in the tank, I guess I need to look into it again. Thanks for the info.

verper
05/03/2007, 03:28 PM
No magnets, but its shaped like a cave and the four "corners" need to rest on rock or substrate. You need several smaller rocks or one fairly large rock to set it on.

RichConley
05/03/2007, 04:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9595197#post9595197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iamwhatiam52
My 180 has two Seio powerheads, one on each side for flow.
Works fine, but I want to upgrade for more and better distributed flow, adjustable flow and possibly a controller.

Sould I go with Tunze Turbelle Streams or Ecotech Vortechs?

I've never owned a vortech, and I no longer own any Tunzes, but IME, the Tunze is WAY less distributed flow than the SEIOs are. My 6060 had the same outlet size as a seio 820. Pointing it at things was worse than pointing a maxijet at them.

RichConley
05/03/2007, 04:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9632373#post9632373 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
Their flow is not nearly as concentrated as a mjmod.
Now, if you put any p.h. that pushes 3000gph+ on the back wall of an aquarium that is 24" or less you will have a barebottom front with a deep dsb in the back 75% :)

The concentration of flow in a maximod is competely decided by how the shroud is designed. The Oceanflo type mods will rip the flesh off of everyting in front of them. The ones I have are way more disperse than a Tunze. Its all about how you design them.

jhorricks
05/03/2007, 04:36 PM
Just got my first vortech and love it. The spread of the flow is incredible and there is no noticeable noise unless you are within a couple feet of it. Can't wait to get another. Just wish they weren't so damn expensive.

jacmyoung
05/03/2007, 08:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9870795#post9870795 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
I've never owned a vortech, and I no longer own any Tunzes, but IME, the Tunze is WAY less distributed flow than the SEIOs are. My 6060 had the same outlet size as a seio 820. Pointing it at things was worse than pointing a maxijet at them.

Keep in mind that a Tunze 6060 is only a little more than a modded Tunze Nano6025, to compare it to vortech or 6100/6200 is totally unfair.

MJMods were good work by the DIYers and many of us tried and benefited from them, but give it a rest now, its time has passed.

summer6
05/04/2007, 08:41 PM
I have a pair of vortech's on the side panels of my tank - 8' long.
About the only thing i don't like is the heavy duty (guess it's necessary) power cord that is running up and across the top of the tank rim. At least my cap disguises it a bit, boy it would be great if the cord wasn't as noticeable. I will say that overall, it's worth the extra lines - the actual motor unit doesn't bother me at all. I might try the pumps on the back wall, but really think they're more effective on the sides of my tank.

drouner
05/04/2007, 10:57 PM
I installed my Vortech about 3 weeks ago. I have no regrets. I like that fact that I can adjust the speed of the prop with a turn of a knob. I can crank up the flow and it really stirs up the tank. The fish turn head first into the flow. Kind of fun to watch them do that. Mine is on my RKII on a on/off cycle. I have a 50X increase in coraline aglae on the tank glass since I installed the Vortech.

As far as noice, once I got it aligned correctly, it has no noice unless I crank it up and that is minimal at best.

Being that my tank is only 58 gallon or 3' long, I actually get a circular motion or flow going in the tank. My SPS have responded well. I wanted this pump because as my SPS grow they will impeded flow in the tank and this having the ability to adjust the flow will help over come that issue down the future.

The downside is that since my tank is not built into a wall you can see the motor mount on the outside of the tank, especially in the postion I have it in. But I would rather have on the outside vs. inside since I find having pumps and etc in a tank distracting.

jnarowe
05/06/2007, 09:49 PM
Well, I installed the Tunze 6025 that Don Nguyen modded for me and it is very sweet. I had to glue the bracket to the base though because the tabs are too weak. The flow is superb and he used fishing line to get the prop to start in the right direction. It works really well and starts right up in the correct direction every time. He also cut ports into the nozzle allowing considerably more flow.

You rock Don! :)

Roy G. Biv
03/25/2008, 07:33 PM
Any new opinions on this???

macreefster
03/28/2008, 04:07 PM
now that the vortech controllers are out and people have had more time using them, what is the current verdict? like the original poster, i am looking to upgrade my circulation within the tank and like the idea of the vortech's and would like to hear what people have to say about them now that they've been available for a while.....and to learn how the controller works. thanks.

burton14e7
03/29/2008, 01:00 AM
going back to tunze's. Noise is insane and rust is insane. I've heard a lot of people say they don't have any noise but mine are very noisy. It seems 50/50 on the noise and thats a gamble I'm not willing to take on my next powerhead.