PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Remora, is it always?

rfdoc
03/29/2007, 10:05 AM
I just had my Remora delivered yestereday and hooked it up. It makes a tremendous amount of noise coming from inside of it. I don't think it is the pump, it the noise of the bubbles it is making from inside the chamber. Is it always like this or just while it "breaks in" ?

Ks Lakerat
03/29/2007, 03:18 PM
From what I have gathered the Remora tends to be on the noisy side even after the break-in period. I've quieted mine down a lot by taking a piece of felt and folding it into a square, placing it on top of the injector and then setting the collection cup on top of it. If you make it the right thickness so that it takes up the dead space between the cup and the injector it quiets the skimmer down considerably.

rfdoc
03/29/2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks I guess I'll have to try that. Did you cut a hole in the square so the collection cup tube goes in the middle of it? I'm not quite sure I understand what you did.

Ks Lakerat
03/29/2007, 03:57 PM
No, you don't have to have a piece that big. Just make it about 1 1/2 inches square to fit over the injector area. If you look inside there appears to be 3 chambers, just make the pad the size of the chamber that has the injector in it.

rfdoc
03/29/2007, 04:00 PM
Ok I'll check when I get home from work, thanks KS!

Medaka
03/29/2007, 06:53 PM
Also make sure theres no space between the collection cup and the skimmer so its not as noisy.

MarineGirl411
03/29/2007, 07:28 PM
When I had my remora, I placed a couple of paper towels over the spray injector as well and it kept it really quiet. =)

Kyle6357
03/29/2007, 08:23 PM
Mne is noisy. I woudl send it back. They are hand made so it could be defected.

rfdoc
03/29/2007, 09:11 PM
I didn't have any felt so I tried the paper towels and wow that helped quite a bit! Thanks for the tips everyone.

Kyle - what do you mean sent it back, for an exchange you mean? Maybe I'll give their support a call and see if they can hear how loud it is over the phone without the paper towels.

Thanks all.