PDA

View Full Version : Problem in tank??

J Castellano
03/29/2007, 01:13 PM
My tank has been up for a year with no problem, but lately I have been getting cyano in the tank. So I have been doing a lot of water changes yet the cyano returns daily sometimes if I change the water early in the day the cyano is back again later that same day. What could my problem be?? My nitrates were a little high but I did a 40% water change and a few 15% in the next few days. Shouldn't this have drastically helped the problem??

Thanks,

Justin Castellano

sir_dudeguy
03/29/2007, 01:54 PM
what are the nitrates and phosphates at? What water are you using? If you're using tap water, thats a very likely culprit right there.

alexb518
03/29/2007, 01:56 PM
everything that sir dude said, but also lack of water flow is another factor

Travis L. Stevens
03/29/2007, 02:03 PM
I would actually tone down the frequency of water changes, but increase the amount done at one area. Keep water flow high in the tank, and do up to 20% weekly water changes. Don't worry if it takes time to get rid of it. Yes, I realize that it doesn't look pretty, but it won't hurt anything (unless it grows over your corals and smothers their light). Removing it by hand effectively removes nutrients as well, so make sure you scoop out as much as possible before a water change.

BurntOutReefer
03/29/2007, 02:03 PM
look into lights aswell as an issue..old lights? or new lights?

J Castellano
03/29/2007, 03:18 PM
Lights are new, Nitrates are at 2.4 mg/L, phosphates are at .2 ppm, I use a ro/di system and the tds are at 0.0. I have a 90 gal. and my flow is 1480 gph.

Thanks guys

puffer21
03/29/2007, 04:09 PM
new lighting can cause it how new is the lighting did this start when you added the new lights.

J Castellano
03/29/2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah, but I have had it for a little over a month now. The cyano shouldn't still be coming back evryday. It has to be nutrients somewhere but like I said I have been doing water changes and can't seem to get rid of it.

Justin Castellano

Kyle6357
03/29/2007, 08:41 PM
I woudl agree with the lack of water flow

J Castellano
03/29/2007, 10:04 PM
Tomorrow my new return pump gets delivered which when I get it installed will up my flow about 600gph. Then I will almost be at 30x turnover in my tank. I will then have 2180 gph. Is this enough or should I make a closed loop also??

Thanks,

Justin Castellano

PatMayo
03/29/2007, 10:52 PM
I doubt that flow will entirely rid you of your problem. Typically that does not help to the greatest extent.

It won't hurt to increase it nevertheless. I would concentrate on nutrient export and growing a macro algae. Do you have a sump with a macro growing?

This link may help as well.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147010

Regards,

Pat

sir_dudeguy
03/29/2007, 11:49 PM
i'm w/pat...flow isnt a "fix" for cyano. Just makes it more difficult for the stuff to grow, but its not the reason it grows in the first place. Get a small fuge going. If you dont have a sump, get a HOB fuge (like an aquaclear filter) and get some chaeto alga growing. I also dont buy into light causing cyano. I've read in a few places around here and i think reefkeeping mag that it is not even photosynthetic (doesnt use light) but i could be wrong as it was a while ago that i read this. But in any case, i've never found that light causes it, and i've upgraded lights a few times, so if new lights were a cause, i should have had it.

reefsbeforehoz
03/30/2007, 12:16 AM
only u know for sure

J Castellano
03/30/2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all your help guys

Justin Castellano