PDA

View Full Version : Can a SCWD cause microbubbles?

Bkndsdl
03/29/2007, 06:18 PM
Just like the subject says. I have a 90 gallon system with a Mag 12 return pump. I have two SCWD's in the return; one side of the SCWDs return through bhds in the back of the tank, and the other side goes over the top of the tank to the front glass, turn down, then point back towards the sides at a 45 degree angle.

At first, I thought it was the check valve, so I removed it. No such luck. I have my suspicions about the two return lines over the top of the tank, but once they fill with water, the larger bubbles dissipate, but the microbubbles don't. I'm thinking maybe the SCWD outputs and inputs have to be siliconed, although there are no leaks, I'm thinking they may be sucking air. Anyone have this problem with a SCWD in their system?

Thanks in advance!

reefnetworth
03/29/2007, 06:34 PM
i would imagine its from the pump, if its was from the lines it would be leakin water somewhere. superglue gel and then silicone for best seals. have a great night!
JDM...:smokin:...:p

Bkndsdl
03/29/2007, 06:36 PM
Not from the pump.........there is a piece of hose btwn the pump and return header, and it's clear as can be. Thanks, though.......

MayoBoy
03/29/2007, 07:46 PM
What size is your suction line? If the pump isn't getting enough water it will cavitate and cause micro bubbles. With a Mag 12, you want a 1-1/4" if not 1-1/2" suction line.

Bkndsdl
03/30/2007, 05:22 AM
Not that, bc suction is open at the pump (submersed). No filter on the suction other than the one they supply for keeping critters out. Thanks for the reply, though.

Anyone else? This really sucks.............

Bkndsdl
03/30/2007, 06:19 PM
no one else has had this problem?

BurntOutReefer
03/30/2007, 07:53 PM
tighten your clamps around the scwd......

Bkndsdl
03/31/2007, 06:58 AM
Burnt, is it your opinion that they are sucking air?

michaeldaly
03/31/2007, 07:25 AM
Air has to be getting in somewhere, as mentioned check and tighten all joints, it could be coming from the pump is small amounts and collecting and merging into bigger bubbles in the squid.

ARNETT
03/31/2007, 09:27 AM
the bubles mite be in the water already before going into the pump had that from my skimmer before !slow the water down in the sump with baffles are something it mite help this give the air time to rise in the water !