PDA

View Full Version : I'm scared and crying in the corner...

Hassman
03/29/2007, 09:37 PM
Hello all. I've lurked here a long time, and maybe have posted once or twice. So let me give you a quick history and then start begging for help... :)

So, I'm looking to start up a tank that will eventually become a reef tank with some fishes happily swimming around. I'm looking at a standard 75gal tank, as that is about as big as I can get right now in my condo.

So I've read a few books (ie: natural reef aquariums) to get some of the basics down. What is needed, why it's needed, different approaches, all that good stuff...

I've read a googleplex of posts on here as well as elsewhere on this crazy Al Gore invention. I think the kids these days call it the "world wide web" these days. Crazy kids. Or maybe it is "the internets"...I think I heard Bush say that once.

And when it is all said and done. I know I want an acrylic tank, pre-drilled for a sump under the tank to house all my super-sophisticated equipment. I know I need a strong current / wave maker (that hopfully won't capsize my tank). I know I need some strong lighting, it sounds like MH are the way to go. I know that without an RO/DI I'll be lucky if the fish I get will have enough room to swim around the algea...

So my problem is even after all this, I'm clueless on what to get / where to start. I'm ready to buy, and start this amazing journey but I just get so over-whelmed on what to actually get. So (finally), my questions...

What are the good protein skimmer manufactures? I know that "bigger is better", but I'd hate to get a crap one.

Where can I get a lighting kit that I can stick a couple 175w 15k iwasaki's in, that also has room for a couple fluorescents to mimic dawn / dust? For that matter what is a ballast, and is it needed? I've read about them, but it is like I'm reading sand script.

Is the Reefkeeper 2 really worth it (http://www.digitalaquatics.com/reefkeeper2.html)?

Does one really need to set up a Monaco style sand bed? With all the layers and separators? Or is it fine to just have a deep sand bed?

Thanks in advance! Really. Thank you. Every one of you. You're knowledge reassures the likes of me out there and drives us to get into the hobby. I dunno, perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong places for some of this stuff. *shrug*

Don't fear the fishes. :p

BurntOutReefer
03/29/2007, 10:01 PM
What are the good protein skimmer manufactures? I know that "bigger is better", but I'd hate to get a crap one.
[Matter of opinion, and how much $$$ you have]

Where can I get a lighting kit that I can stick a couple 175w 15k iwasaki's in, that also has room for a couple fluorescents to mimic dawn / dust? For that matter what is a ballast, and is it needed? I've read about them, but it is like I'm reading sand script.
[ballast "fire" the bulbs. www.hellolights is a good place to start..you can mimic dawn/dust using just MH's]

Is the Reefkeeper 2 really worth it (http://www.digitalaquatics.com/reefkeeper2.html)?
[no personal opinion here. Looks good if you just want to monitor PH.....]
Does one really need to set up a Monaco style sand bed? With all the layers and separators? Or is it fine to just have a deep sand bed?
[DSB are ok.]

Zach117
03/29/2007, 10:09 PM
The bigger the better so if 75 is as big as you can do, do it. Dont plan on buying cheaper equipment to meet your needs now if you want to upgrade to something in the next 1-2 years. Bite the bullet now it will save money in the long run.

Youve answered the first question, you decided to do a reef. The next question you need to ask is what kind of corals do you like and want to keep? Softies, LPS or SPS dominated? With LPS and Softies you can have a slightly smaller budget which is part of this question. SPS will require good skimming (more expensive) more flow which you will have to run a closed loop (drains from the tank and uses a pump to flow back in to the aquarium, which you will have to drill yourself or have thew manufacturer do it when you buy the tank) or the use of multiple powerheads, tunze are a preferred brand around here.

You will need light ballasts, they are necessary to run MH lights. You can find retro fit kits where you install light reflectors and the bulbs into your canopy which is less heat than buying a light box that has them built in. That is unless you do not want a top on your tank than you will have to hang lights from the ceiling.

I am running the reefkeeper 2 and it is a pretty good little "brain" for a simple system. I am a firm believer in having as little equipment as possible, units like RK2 and the Neptune lines are good for lights, temperature control and ph monitoring.

Some of the most reccomended manufacturers for skimmers are Deltec, H&S & Euroreef. There are many opinions on skimmers from people, good and bad so try to sort out all the info. Manufactures help you select the right one for your setup by recommending tank size for each.

I seriously have never heard of a Monaco sandbed and all my reading on this website in the last few years I have never heard anyone mention it. A deep sand bed is good to have a create a realistic look 4-6 inches, a shallow bed 1-3 is also popular and there are advantages to both.

I think a good website to start looking at equipment is marinedepot.com or premiumaquatics.com where the sell a lot of good stuff. Any other specific brands you might want to get check the vendor forums here on RC.

Keep gathering info before you make an impulse buy and good luck!

Hassman
03/30/2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks guys!

I guess I was looking for a little bit of encouragement rather than specifics, but thank you all the same.

This is a great base to start from, and the feedback made all the difference.

I appreciate it!

luke33
03/30/2007, 06:03 AM
If i were to set up a new 75, here's what i'd do, its my opinion so take what you will. DSB? Yes, 4-6inches. I would not use live sand to save money.

I'd get 100lbs of LR to seed the sand.

Protein skimmer, i'd go with the aquaeuro 250 from www.reefnut.com it is a good skimmer and won't bust your wallet and way plenty for your tank or upgrade around $200.

Lights, i'd go with a retro t5 4x48" icecap. You'll get 80wx4 with the 660's as your ballast and it will save you $ in the long run and you'll be able to keep the same as you would with a MH'd and won't have to worry about heat.

Hassman
03/30/2007, 06:14 AM
Oh, I realized I never answered your question.

As for the corals... I'm not 100% sure yet. At this point I don't want to rule anything out. My thoughts were that if I plan for the more demanding stuff (ie: SPS), then I'll probably be ok for whatever goes into the tank. I can always adjust the placement of these suckers if there is a species that doesn't want that much light or scale back what I have a bit (I hope) if need be.

Or am I assuming something bad... can too much light be harmful?

klasiksb
03/30/2007, 07:29 AM
Hassman, I don't know if your aware of the Chicago group forum on here, but here it is.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=180

I bet you can find some locals to help you out as well, and probably check out there tanks to give you some ideas.

carlisimo1969
03/30/2007, 07:57 AM
Welcome to the hobby...let the money flow!

ccoral
03/30/2007, 10:32 AM
I would suggest a good LFS to help you through the intial set up. Arylic tank??? Would only set up a glass tank. Arylic scratches to easy for a reef and now they are alot of really nice glass tanks that use starfire glass.

Enjoy the hobby! and take things slow

kodyboy
03/30/2007, 10:54 AM
I concur with luke33 on everything but the lights, I would get an aquactinics 5 54 watt t5 unit. Active cooling and better reflectors. A nice unit for the price.