PDA

View Full Version : Chiller

iflipsidei
03/29/2007, 10:11 PM
How does one go about picking out a chiller my temp flux from 79 to 83 and its only spring time. I have about 110gallons of water in the tank.

i found this and thought the 1/8 would do but i really dont want to undershoot and be stuck with a chiller, its a lot of money.

http://www.tecous.com/sizing.htm

also would a chiller bought from ebay or someone else not be wise to do?

Aliie
03/29/2007, 10:19 PM
Is your tank inside or out? I saw this and I don't understand the need for a chiller on an inside tank or maybe I'm just really confused. Most likely but thought I'd ask.

iflipsidei
03/29/2007, 10:19 PM
its inside my apartment, but i live in So Cal hehe

Aliie
03/29/2007, 10:27 PM
So does that mean you don't have A/C? What am I missing in this?

iflipsidei
03/29/2007, 10:34 PM
well the 500w of MH warm the water up over time and also living in SoCal running the A/C most of the day will make your electric bill 10x higher and thats not a overstatement

PatMayo
03/29/2007, 11:03 PM
A chiller will most certainly be cheaper than running the AC all day although it will consume electricity as well and will raise you bill. I would look at the efficiencies of the chillers you look at. Try to get one that is the most efficient. You may have to educate yourself to understand this.

I would ask some questions in the lighting, filtration and other equipment forum.

Good luck,

Regards,

Pat

reefsbeforehoz
03/30/2007, 12:19 AM
check out infor about chillers

Aliie
03/30/2007, 05:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9603714#post9603714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iflipsidei
well the 500w of MH warm the water up over time and also living in SoCal running the A/C most of the day will make your electric bill 10x higher and thats not a overstatement

I did not know that was ever the case. So you guys don't use heaters but chillers. Pretty cool I think. Thanks for the reply I had no idea that was ever a possibility.

Lotus99
03/30/2007, 09:06 PM
When you're researching, make sure you check how many degrees the chiller will cool the tank. While it can be rated for a 100g tank, it may only be able to chill that much water by 3 or 5 degrees. You may need to go a size or two up, depending on how hot your apartment gets in the summer without the A/C running.

ARNETT
03/30/2007, 09:13 PM
have u tryed fans to keep it cooler and with cold water as your top off will help some
I use a chiller in the winter time on my tank and i live in michigan :bum: due to all my MH but the fans make it run less with the evop. from them

PatMayo
03/31/2007, 12:56 AM
If you have an auto top off system trying to cool the water with fans may be the best answer. But if you are not going to run AC I don't think that even that will work for those hot SC days. A chiller may be your only choice.

If you do not have an auto top off system and you are going to try fans, make sure you have a lot of RO/DI water at the ready to add evaporated water.

Regards,

Pat