PDA

View Full Version : Which Clown?

xbambamx
03/29/2007, 11:59 PM
Alright yall, with special research I've decided my species tank should be a Haddoni Anemone, but I first decided on A. Polymnus (brown saddleback) but I've heard some negative things about them, any other clowns you can suggest and why? Really don't want to go with Pecurlas or Occelaris..

arcab4
03/30/2007, 03:43 AM
what bad things did you hear about saddlebacks?

i think if you can get your hands on a red haddoni and then add some black saddlebacks, that would give you a nice contrast between the red and black.

xbambamx
03/30/2007, 07:48 AM
I'm getting the brown saddlebacks, i dont really like any black clowns.. And Polymnus are the one clowns are that don't share a life long bond with anemones, so they can just leave it one day and never come back.. And i hear they can be rather aggressive with the anemone, and if I'm paying 100+ for a haddoni I think i'll avoid that

GSMguy
03/30/2007, 08:14 AM
pink skunks?

xbambamx
03/30/2007, 08:18 AM
GSM guy, have you heard the whole A. Polymnus dont share a life long bond with anemone thing? I've searched but can't find it what so ever...

arcab4
03/30/2007, 11:18 AM
actually..i would think if you had only ONE that they would stay there for a very long time.

my clowns used to just stick to one anemone. 24/7. then after introducing a bunch more...they now go back and forth.

so dont' give them options and they should stay.

illcssd
03/30/2007, 11:43 AM
I've never heard that polymnus don't host the same anemone for they're lifetime. Where did you hear that? I would think that the only reason they are apt to up and leave the anemone would be if they found a better or more suitable host, which is entirely avoidable if you only have one anemone. My ocellaris stayed in the magnifica i had for 6 years, then upon introduction of my mertensii, they left it for the carpet. But with one anemone you won't have a problem of them leaving the haddoni.
Also, on the point of saddleback's being hard on anemones; If you do end up going with this species of clown, add the anemone first, and give it at least a month to settle in and get comfortable. Also try and get a large carpet, or really small clowns. If your anemone is a good size bigger than the clowns and it is already established in your aquarium, you should have no problems with them being to rough on the anemone, i never have.
fwiw