PDA

View Full Version : How is this Legal?

PrangeWay
03/30/2007, 09:49 AM
Coralvue's new powerhead...
http://coralvue.com/images/XWAVE.jpg

How is this legal? I mean exactly the same down to the driver box and hockey puck transformer. Is this licensed?

PW

Quick Edit
Their Site: http://www.coralvue.com/
They make a great mh bulb though.

rvitko
03/30/2007, 10:03 AM
I don't know that it is, thanks for letting me know I just emailed Mr. Tunze. We have patents on most of our products and we are already pursuing many knock offs. We hold the patent for just about every method of writing the rotation of a prop pump and we do have design patents as well.

Lordhelmet
03/30/2007, 12:23 PM
do you think that a company like coralvue would risk breaking any patents. especially one by a company as well known as tunze?
something can look similar but be completely different on the inside since all there is is a picture.

jacmyoung
03/30/2007, 01:35 PM
I can see a clear case of violation here, they did not even bother to make the pump look different.

Since everything is assembled in China now a days, they probably just made a few hundred more units while they were at it and put their own label on them:)

leoskee
03/30/2007, 01:46 PM
How much are they selling them for? Hopefully they are reasonably priced.

macawdad2003
03/30/2007, 01:51 PM
Wow. That almost looks like a gag (I know it is not). What a blatant "rip-off". Shame on them. Atleast make the keypad red..lol

leoskee
03/30/2007, 02:26 PM
Didnt realize this was a Tunze sponsor forum. I take back my comment.

rvitko
03/30/2007, 02:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9608023#post9608023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jacmyoung
I can see a clear case of violation here, they did not even bother to make the pump look different.

Since everything is assembled in China now a days, they probably just made a few hundred more units while they were at it and put their own label on them:)

We don't make anything in China, we buy our magnet rotors from China but nothing else, it is all made in Germany. It says so on the pump and you definitely can't get away with lying about the origin of a product in the EU.

jacmyoung
03/30/2007, 02:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9608456#post9608456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rvitko
We don't make anything in China, we buy our magnet rotors from China but nothing else, it is all made in Germany. It says so on the pump and you definitely can't get away with lying about the origin of a product in the EU.

Well sorry I was so used to Made in China label I did not even pay attention to the labels on my Tunze pumps.

poppin_fresh
03/30/2007, 04:33 PM
It is a well known fact that companies that have their products made in China risk them being ripped off. It looks like they aren't afraid to just flat out copy something too.

keinreis
03/30/2007, 06:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9609444#post9609444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by poppin_fresh
It is a well known fact that companies that have their products made in China risk them being ripped off. It looks like they aren't afraid to just flat out copy something too.

You are correct. It is actually common practice in China. and what is worse is that the factory in china (if they make goods for another aquarium accessory company) will also attempt to sell the same product to them also using the molds that were paid for by the first company that ripped it off. It is a real game dealing with overseas factories. and Roger is correct! Try bringing goods in from china that say made in germany on them... They are real strict about country of origin on Packaging, and items.

keinreis
03/30/2007, 06:09 PM
Oh and one more thing. look at coralvue's site now. Something has changed. No more Tunze rip off photos. Man you guys at tunze work quick.:lol: :lol: :lol: